[Go-essp-tech] NetCDF4 compression. write efficiency and CMIP5policy

Gary Strand strandwg at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 12 08:16:25 MST 2009

Are we sure that there's sufficient usage of compressed netCDF-4, by
both scientists/analysts and by clients (pick your favorite software)
that we (modeling groups) must use compressed netCDF-4 for our CMIP5
data submission?

With CMIP3, we were told to keep file sizes under 2 GB to allow for
folks who had only 32-bit netCDF available. Is it a good idea to
mandate compressed netCDF-4 this time around?

Gary Strand
strandwg at ucar.edu