[Go-essp-tech] versioning use case - beyond dataset level

Stephan Kindermann kindermann at dkrz.de
Fri Mar 6 01:45:07 MST 2009

Hi
As suggested by Don, i repost my mail to the go-essp-tech and esg-cet lists
comments welcome .. :-)

Greetings
  Stephan

Hi Dean, Natan,

as Michael already pointed out we can agree on the versioning use case with respect to dataset level versioning -
versioning on file level (not in the use case by now) or notification of users for changes on
file level (e.g. use case: "point user to a particular file and
version") would induce additional overhead for us because we would have to artificially implement something like a file hierarchy overlay structure in our DB system -  in the case of user notification (or versioning) beyond the level of a dataset we would prefer to characterize the changed parts not by pointing to the files changed, but characterizing logically the part of the dataset (e.g. time interval) which has changed ..

Greetings
  Stephan
Stephan Kindermann
German Climate Computing Center, DKRZ