CEDAR email: ESWW2024 abstracts: SWR4 in Parallel Space Weather Research sessions

Guram Kervalishvili guram.kervalishvili at gfz-potsdam.de
Mon May 20 05:34:43 MDT 2024

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring to your attention and encourage you to contemplate submitting an abstract for the Parallel Space Weather Research (SWR) sessions, scheduled for the ESWW 2024, November 4-8, Coimbra, Portugal.

Abstract submission: https://esww2024.org/home/abstracts/ (the deadline for oral abstract submissions is Thursday, 6th June 2024. Past this date, all submissions will be considered for poster presentation only).

SWR4 - Interactions in the Earth’s Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere System and their space weather impact (https://esww2024.org/programme/parallel-sessions/#513a6cdfc88a1837d)
Session details:
The session focuses on the state-of-the-art understanding of the complex mechanisms ruling the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (M-I-T) coupling and how they translate into space weather impacts.

Such an understanding is fundamental for the development of effective countermeasures against disruption, failure and deterioration of vulnerable technologies, such as GNSS critical applications, HF/VHF/UHF radio communications and LEO satellites operations. In order to forecast, warn, and mitigate adverse space weather effects, a better understanding of the M-I-T coupling plays a key role. It is essential to improve the prediction of: geomagnetic storm-time behaviour of the occurrence of spread-F, polar cap patches and scintillation phenomena that can degrade navigation and communication systems, thermospheric density variability affecting satellite drag and the enhancement of field-aligned currents, just to mention a few examples. Another crucial aspect of M-I-T coupling is the interhemispheric symmetric/asymmetric response to variable drivers that, if properly predicted, could support regional space weather modelling.

Contributed papers may address (but are not limited to) recent developments in modelling and forecasting, monitoring methodologies, data analysis, measurement campaigns and international initiatives related to M-I-T coupling and associated threats on systems, at regional and global scales.

We look forward to receiving your valuable contributions and thank you very much for your attention.

Sincerely yours, session conveners,
Daria Kotova,
Lucilla Alfonsi,
Eelco Doornbos,
Guram Kervalishvili

---
Dr. Guram Kervalishvili
Section 2.3: Geomagnetism
Tel.: +49 (0)331 6264 1882
Fax: +49 (0)331 6264 1266
Email: gmk at gfz-potsdam.de

Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Foundation under public law of the federal state of Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg, D-14473 Potsdam