CEDAR email: AGU Session "Re-Envisioning the Postdoctoral Experience in Earth and Space Sciences"

Mark Moldwin mmoldwin at umich.edu
Mon Jun 24 08:31:36 MDT 2024

Dear Space Physics Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to ED033: Re-Envisioning the
Postdoctoral Experience in Earth and Space Sciences for the AGU24
Conference in Washington DC. We welcome contributions that describe new
postdoctoral training opportunities, professional development programs,
and support structures from within individual labs, institutions and
nationally. Contributions from postdocs who are working within their
institution for change are encouraged.

The deadline for all submissions isWednesday, 31 July 2024at 23:59 EDT.
Abstracts will not be accepted for review after this date.

See https://www.agu.org/annual-meeting for meeting information and
abstract submission portal and
https://agu.confex.com/agu/agu24/prelim.cgi/Session/225534 for the
session description.

Hope to see you in DC at AGU24, Mark Moldwin, Aixa Aleman-Diaz and
Loraine Martell-Bonet

Session Title: ED033
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/agu24/prelim.cgi/Session/225534>:
Re-Envisioning the Postdoctoral Experience in Earth and Space Sciences

Section: Education

Postdoctoral researchers play a vital role in advancing the Earth and
Space Sciences (ESS) and professions. The apprentice model of
postdoctoral training provides highly specialized skills to support
discovery science and the development of innovative technologies while
postdoctoral scientists develop their own independent careers and career
identities. However, the traditional model does not support the
development of a diverse, inclusive, thriving, and sustainable ESS
community. Recent reports by NIH, NSF, the National Academies, and the
National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) highlight the need for
re-envisioning the postdoctoral experience. This session welcomes
contributions to re-imagine new postdoctoral training, programs, and
support structures from within individual labs, institutions and
nationally. One of the goals of this session is to develop an AGU
community to support postdoctoral training, inclusive mentoring, and the
sharing of leading practices. This session convenes partners across
sectors to provide tools, tactics, and strategies for postdoctoral
researchers to thrive.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mark Moldwin
Arthur F. Thurnau Professor
Professor of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering
Director UM Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
Faculty Director M-STEM's M-Engin Program
Executive Director of NASA's Michigan Space Grant Consortium
University of Michigan
Space Research Building, Room 1418
2455 Hayward St.
Ann Arbor MI, 48109-2143
(734) 647-3370 FAX: (734) 647-3083
http://space.engin.umich.edu
www.linkedin.com/in/mmoldwin
@ProfMoldwin
I am a Individual with Reporting Obligations (IRO) and Campus Security Authority (CSA).

Why DE&I?
Diversity - Diverse groups produce better outcomes and is intrinsic to building a just society and undoing years of systemic racism.
Equity - Everybody deserves to be treated fairly
Inclusion - Inclusive environments expand opportunities for everyone

Self-expression and self-identification is one of my professional and personal values.
One way to practice these values is to share personal gender pronouns.
My name is Mark and I use he, him, his pronouns. What pronouns do you use?

Save a tree, please don't print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary.
"Hug a Tree and Work for Peace"    "Hug your baby for health!!!"     0-

Please do not send confidential, ITAR, or otherwise restricted data or files
to this email address. Please contact me to set up a secure file transfer as
needed. For NASA Flight Mission controlled information - use Mark.B.Moldwin at nasa.gov.