CEDAR email: CEDAR 2023: Invitation to participate in "Interhemispheric Asymmetry" GC Workshops

Astrid Maute Astrid.Maute at colorado.edu
Sat May 20 11:24:02 MDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to participate in the 'Grand Challenge: Interhemispheric asymmetries (IHA) and impact on the global I-T system<https://cedarscience.org/workshop/2023-workshop-iha-and-impact>' CEDAR workshops scheduled for Monday, June 26, 4-6 PM and Tuesday, June 27, 1:30-3:30PM. A session description can be found below. The sessions will consist of invited scene setting talks, contributed lightening presentations, and a combined discussion. We invite you to contribute lightening type presentations of your recent results focusing on IHA caused by magnetosphere-ionosphere and/or lower atmosphere coupling and its IT impact. For scheduling, we request that interested speakers contact one of the conveners by the end of May. We encourage participation and contributions from students and early career scientists.

We look forward to your attendance and contributions!

Best regards,
Astrid Maute (astrid.maute at colorado.edu<mailto:astrid.maute at colorado.edu>) on behalf of the conveners (Yue Deng, Lynn Harvey, Qingyu Zhu, Yun-Ju Chen, Rich Collins, Aaron Ridley, Guiping Liu, Sevag Derghazarian)
Session Description:
In the I-T system, interhemispheric Asymmetries (IHA) take many forms. Observations have revealed that IHA manifested via particle precipitation and conductivity, auroral patterns, substorm occurrence and locations, field-aligned currents, ionospheric electric potentials, magnetic field geometries, ionospheric and thermospheric neutral and plasma characteristics, and atmospheric waves from the lower atmosphere. Understanding IHA is critical for understanding the IT system to the forcing from both above and below.
Despite the now-known importance and ubiquity of IHA, their properties have not been thoroughly examined or documented. The lack of IHA input to models has prevented simulations from testing their impact on the global I-T system. Also simulation capabilities for handling IHA are significantly limited. Furthermore, impacts of IHA have not been quantified or reproduced. This workshop focuses on quantifying interhemispheric differences observed in the IT system and understanding their causes and importance for the upper atmosphere. With the available observations and sophisticated numerical modeling capabilities we are in a better position now to study the IHA.