CEDAR email: IUGG Session on Solar Influence on the Atmosphere and Climate

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 26 12:05:56 MST 2023

Dear colleagues,
This is a reminder that abstract submission for the 28th General Assembly
of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG 2023, to be held
at the CityCube Berlin, Germany, 11-20 July 2023) will close on *14
February 2023*. Please check the meeting website at
https://www.iugg2023berlin.org/home-2/ for additional details.

We draw your attention to this session of interest.
Session: JA05 Solar Influence on the Atmosphere and Climate (Joint session
of the IAGA & IAMAS commissions)
Conveners: Christoph Jacobi, Luc Damé, Odele Coddington

Session Description
The role of the Sun’s influence on past climate as well as in future climate
variability keeps attracting much interest presently. State of the art
climate models now include a well resolved stratosphere and mesosphere.
This allows the prediction of global climate and its changes taking into
account expected solar related variability, particularly in the
ultraviolet, at short to long time scales. In the middle and upper
atmosphere solar related electromagnetic and particle variability is one
dominant forcing mechanism for atmospheric variability at time scales from
days to decades. In this session we aim to stimulate discussion on the
solar variability that drives Earth-system change on time scales from days
to centuries. We welcome results from observations, including observations
of solar radiation, theoretical work and modeling efforts that facilitate
the implementation of solar irradiance in Earth science applications and
that quantify meteorological and solar effects on the lower, middle, and
upper atmosphere. We also welcome discussions on new missions or
observational means to address these issues. Advances in reconstructing
past climate and in projecting future climate considering the role of
extraterrestrial forcing are also desired.

Sincerely,
Odele Coddington

Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
Space Science Building (SPSC)
University of Colorado
3665 Discovery Drive
Boulder, CO 80303