CEDAR email: Invitation to participate in an NSF-funded survey

O'Rourke, Michael orourk51 at msu.edu
Thu Jun 30 10:58:19 MDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,
I wanted to pass the following invitation along, in case you’re interested. This has to do with an NSF-funded research group that is seeking to validate a scale to measure epistemic exclusion, i.e., the “devaluation of certain types of scholarship that occurs when invisible biases in systems of evaluation are coupled with prejudice toward, and negative stereotypes about, historically underrepresented groups.” (For more, see https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2000021&HistoricalAwards=false.) This is supported by NSF HRD, and we believe that it could help to identify some obstacles to the diversification of the scientific workforce. (Here is the website for our project: https://we2project.weebly.com/.<https://we2project.weebly.com/>)
Thank you,

Michael O’Rourke
Director, MSU Center for Interdisciplinarity
Director, Toolbox Dialogue Initiative
Professor, Department of Philosophy & AgBioResearch
368 Farm Lane Room 524A
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1032
orourk51 at msu.edu<mailto:orourk51 at msu.edu>
517-432-0751

Dear Colleague,
As a fellow tenured/tenure-track faculty member at a U.S. college or university, I would like to personally invite you to participate in a NSF-funded online survey about how your research is evaluated by other faculty in your department. Your participation will help us identify areas to improve faculty evaluation practices at colleges and universities across the U.S.

The survey will take approximately 20-25 minutes to complete and you will receive a $20 Amazon gift card for your participation.
If you are willing to participate:

  *   Now, we are asking you to complete a brief 1 - 2 min screening survey<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/umich.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8HComSxSila4ryu__;!!HXCxUKc!yDEsaoduf1YcV68gogVXtGpMtwBryyDN7NS8KVZEh0DM984zyuVsk8vZbKlR5fE2cVfaC6Rc9VRB6_gnplYgHFaBDQ$> to determine if you are eligible to participate.
  *   In 1-2 weeks, you will receive a link to the full survey.
  *   The survey will be available through June 15th for completion.
Screening Survey Link:
 https://umich.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8HComSxSila4ryu
We hope you will participate as your input is unique and cannot be replaced.
We also hope that you will pass this email along to other colleagues who may be interested in participating.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the study, please contact our study coordinator, Dr. Petal Grower, at faculty.eval.study at umich.edu<mailto:faculty.eval.study at umich.edu>.

Thank you,
Dr. NiCole T. Buchanan, Professor in the Department of Psychology, Michigan State University (nbuchana at msu.edu<mailto:nbuchana at msu.edu>)
NSF Award #2000021

Dr. Isis H. Settles, Professor in the Departments of Psychology and Afroamerican and African Studies; Associate Director, ADVANCE Program, University of Michigan (isettles at umich.edu<mailto:isettles at umich.edu>)
NSF Award #2000580

Dr. Martinque Jones, Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology, University of North Texas (martinque.jones at unt.edu<mailto:martinque.jones at unt.edu>)
NSF Award #2000076