CEDAR email: ESWW2022 - session SWR4 "Magnetosphere, ionosphere and thermosphere coupling"

Doornbos, Eelco (KNMI) eelco.doornbos at knmi.nl
Fri Jun 24 10:20:41 MDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

The European Space Weather Week (ESWW) is the main annual event in the European Space Weather calendar. ESWW is an excellent place to meet people, to exchange knowledge and ideas, to discuss the latest on solar activity, how space weather influences the earth environment and our technologies, and how to deal with space weather.

The ESWW2022 meeting will take place in Zagreb (Croatia) from 24 to 28 October, 2022.

The abstract submission for the session SWR4 "Magnetosphere, Ionosphere and Thermosphere Coupling" is now open and available here:
https://register-as.oma.be/esww2022/abstract.php

The session focuses on the state-of-the-art understanding of the complex mechanisms ruling the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (M-I-T) coupling and how it translates into space weather impacts. Such an understanding is fundamental for the development of effective countermeasures against disruption, failure and deterioration of vulnerable technologies, such as GNSS critical applications, HF/VHF/UHF radio communications and LEO satellites operations. In order to forecast, warn, and mitigate adverse space weather effects, a better understanding of the M-I-T coupling plays a key role. It is essential to improve the prediction of: geomagnetic storm-time behaviour of the occurrence of spread-F, polar cap patches and scintillation phenomena that can degrade navigation and communication systems, thermospheric density variability affecting satellite drag and the enhancement of field-aligned currents, just to mention a few examples. Another crucial aspect of M-I-T coupling is the interhemispheric symmetric/asymmetric response to variable drivers that, if properly predicted, could support regional space weather modelling. Contributed papers may address (but are not limited to) recent developments in modelling and forecasting, monitoring methodologies, data analysis, measurement campaigns and international initiatives related to M-I-T coupling and associated threats on systems, at regional and global scale.

Please note the close deadline for the consideration of oral presentations, here <https://www.stce.be/esww2022/timeline.php> you can find the full timeline.

We hope you will join us to present your latest results.
We are looking forward to meeting you in Zagreb!

Best regards,
Lucilla, Yaqi, Eelco