CEDAR email: updated agenda for Cedar session on Auroral System Science Enabled by Heterogeneous Distributed Data and Model Fusion

Kristina A. Lynch Kristina.A.Lynch at dartmouth.edu
Wed Jun 15 09:06:52 MDT 2022

A detailed agenda is now posted, and listed below, for this Cedar session workshop:

Auroral System Science Enabled by Heterogeneous Distributed Data and Model Fusion

https://cedarscience.org/workshop/2022-workshop-auroral-system-science

(Friday 24 June, 10-12)

We plan two sessions of shared presentations followed by mediated discussion.  The topics in the session description can be ordered along many topic axes.  For the first hour, we will have a 30-minute shared presentation focussing on flows and currents, followed by a panel discussion.  For the second hour, we will have a 30-minute shared presentation focussing on density and energy, again followed by panel discussion.  There will be a short break between the two sessions.  We encourage those working on the topics in the session description to submit posters on their work.

Please let us know if your poster has bearing on this session, and join our session Friday morning for the panel discussions.    We look forward to interesting conversations with an intent to seed new collaborations and projects in this area.

Agenda:

For the first hour (10-11 am), we will have a 30-minute shared presentation focussing on flows and currents, followed by a panel discussion:

Presentations:

     Spencer Hatch, UIB - Local mapping of polar ionospheric electrodynamics (Lompe)

     Alex Mule, Dartmouth  - Swarm-ThemisGBO conjunction database and auroral arc featurization

     Toshi Nishimura, BU, given by Larry Lyons, UCLA - Observation of multi-scale convection and aurora

     Meghan Burleigh, NRL - Using the right model for the science: a nested OSSE approach

     Jules van Irsel, Dartmouth  - 2 threads for 3D auroral modelling: how to drive it and how to look at it

Panel discussion topic prompts: (leads K Lynch, Dartmouth / M Zettergren, ERAU)
    –what are “matching” patterns of J/E/sigma
    –the eternal question of uncertainty in model estimates
    –auroral feature recognition
    –

For the second hour (11-12 noon), we will have a 30-minute shared presentation focussing on density and energy, again followed by panel discussion.

    Don Hampton, UAG/GI  - Mapped aggregate auroral imagery and GBO arrays

    Romina Nikoukar, APL  - Next-generation of beacons for ionosphere studies

    Seebany Datta-Barua, IIT - Automating cloud detection and instrument conjunctions

    Kike Rojas Villalba, Cornell  - Farley Buneman and multiscale modelling

    Yue Deng, UTA  - multiscale modeling / Joule heating

Panel discussion topic prompts:  (leads M Zettergren, ERAU / K Lynch, Dartmouth)
    –poynting bookkeeping;
    –GBO development;
    –

Regards