CEDAR email: Save the Date: Second STEVE Community Workshop - October 6-8, 2022

Bea Gallardo-Lacourt (GSFC-675.0)[CATHOLIC UNIV OF AMERICA] bea.gallardolacourt at nasa.gov
Fri Jul 29 12:22:47 MDT 2022

Save the Date: Second STEVE Community Workshop - October 6-8, 2022

On behalf of the organizing committee, I would like to invite you to participate in the Second STEVE Community Workshop: Advancing Understanding of A New Atmospheric Phenomenon.  The workshop will be hosted at MIT Haystack Observatory on Thursday October 6 to Saturday October 8, 2022, and is sponsored by a National Science Foundation grant.

The Second STEVE workshop will be hybrid. The in-person component will be held at MIT Haystack Observatory in Westford, Massachusetts, USA (https://www.haystack.mit.edu).  The virtual component will be open to the whole community via Zoom and will be simulcast on YouTube.  Note that capacity is limited for in person attendance at the MIT Haystack facilities.

Funding possibilities are available upon request and availability. We plan to prioritize funding for students, citizen scientists, and early career attendees.

To help us plan the next workshop, we have created a quick survey<https://forms.gle/o5EmN8LJQapU5Dud6>.  This allows us to determine if you plan to attend the workshop, in which format, and whether you may need funding to attend in-person. Please respond to the survey not later than Monday, August 8th 2022.

** Workshop goals:

As you are well aware, STEVE has passed beyond an initial discovery period and is now recognized as a bona fide geophysical phenomenon with numerous observational sightings and recent enlightening studies. The purpose of this workshop is to maintain community momentum on STEVE research.  Observational and theoretical geospace scientists and stakeholders will gather to disseminate STEVE research findings, identify outstanding questions about the phenomenon, and to continue formulation of future research plans and collaborative studies on the topic.

** Workshop structure:

The 3 day workshop will have two general foci: (1) serve as a venue for developing observation strategies, experimental campaigns and associated observation modes to fill in both synoptic and event-based data gaps; (2) organize modeling efforts, guided by known phenomenological characteristics to date, to answer key and evolving community questions about the physical morphology and dynamics of STEVE.

** Questions?

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me or any member of the organizing committee.

Organizing Committee:

Phil Erickson, MIT Haystack Observatory

Gareth Perry, New Jersey Institute of Technology

Carlos Martinis, Boston University

Bharat Kunduri, Virginia Tech

Bea Gallardo-Lacourt, NASA/CUA