CEDAR email: ASU session on ionospheric irregularities and scintillations: 2nd invitation

Sebastijan Mrak smrak at bu.edu
Fri Jul 22 12:56:25 MDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to the "Observational and
modeling studies of ionospheric irregularities and scintillation" Session at
the 2022 Fall AGU Meeting. The focus of our session is on observational and
modeling studies that advance our understanding of the role of various
mechanisms and processes in the generation of ionosphere irregularities and
their propagation impacts.

Session Title
SA017 - Observational and modeling studies of ionospheric irregularities and
scintillation
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/157275

Session Description
Ionospheric irregularities are the main source of scintillation defined as
rapid random fluctuations in the amplitude and phase of radio signals that
adversely affect transionospheric communication and navigation systems, such
as Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS). Scintillations are the most
severe at magnetic low- and high-latitudes which are conducive to
instability mechanisms pertaining to the magnetic field orientation. These
irregularities with characteristic scales of the order of several hundred
meters to a few kilometers in conjunction with larger scale density
perturbations impact radio and radar systems relying on the ionospheric
reflections including VLF and HF communications and Over the Horizon Radars
(OTHR). The generation mechanisms producing these ionospheric density
irregularities are controlled by the background density, electric fields,
plasma drift, neutral winds and particle precipitation. Understanding the
state of the system controlling the instability onset, turbulence
development and saturation are paramount for the forecasting and mitigation
strategies. In this session, we invite both modeling and remote and in situ
observational studies pertinent to advancing our understanding of the role
of various mechanisms and processes for generation of ionosphere
irregularities and their propagation impacts including scintillation,
bending and range delays.

The abstract submission deadline is Aug. 3, 2022.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look
forward to you at 2022 Fall AGU meeting.

Romina Nikoukar, Sebastijan Mrak, Anton Kashcheyev, Matthew D Zettergren