CEDAR email: Call for Abstracts: AGU session on Ionosphere Scintillation and Irregularities

Nikoukar, Romina Romina.Nikoukar at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jul 13 13:11:03 MDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to the “Observational and modeling studies of ionospheric irregularities and scintillation” Session at the 2022 Fall AGU Meeting. The focus of our session is on observational and modeling studies that advance our understanding of the role of various mechanisms and processes for generation of ionosphere irregularities and their propagation impacts.

Session Title: SA017 - Observational and modeling studies of ionospheric irregularities and scintillation<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/157275>

Session Description: Ionospheric irregularities are the main source of scintillation defined as rapid random fluctuations in the amplitude and phase of radio signals that adversely affect transionospheric communication and navigation systems, such as Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS). Scintillations are the most severe at magnetic low- and high-latitudes which are conducive to instability mechanisms pertaining to the magnetic field orientation. These irregularities with characteristic scales of the order of several hundred meters to a few kilometers in conjunction with larger scale density perturbations impact radio and radar systems relying on the ionospheric reflections including VLF and HF communications and Over the Horizon Radars (OTHR). The generation mechanisms producing these ionospheric density irregularities are controlled by the background density, electric fields, plasma drift, neutral winds and particle precipitation. Understanding the state of the system controlling the instability onset, turbulence development and saturation are paramount for the forecasting and mitigation strategies. In this session, we invite both modeling and remote and in situ observational studies pertinent to advancing our understanding of the role of various mechanisms and processes for generation of ionosphere irregularities and their propagation impacts including scintillation, bending and range delays.

The abstract submission deadline is Aug. 3, 2022.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to meeting you at 2022 Fall AGU meeting.

Sincerely,
Romina Nikoukar, Sebastijan Mrak, Anton Kashcheyev, Matthew Zettergren