CEDAR email: AGU FALL Meeting session SA008 "Data-driven Modeling and New Measurements of the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (MIT) System"

Sai Gowtam Valluri svalluri at alaska.edu
Mon Jul 11 11:15:44 MDT 2022

Dear CEDAR community,

We seek your valuable contributions to the AGU FALL Meeting 2022
session: *SA008
"Data-driven Modeling and New Measurements of the
Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (MIT) System".* KIndly consider
submitting an abstract to the session. The deadline for all
submissions is *Wednesday,
3 August 2022 at 23:59 EDT.*

Here is the session link for your kind reference.
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/162872

*Session details:*
A recent moderate geomagnetic storm on February 3-4, 2022, has caused the
loss of about 40 out of 49 SpaceX Starlink low-orbit satellites,
highlighting the importance of advancing the predictive capability of the
Magnetosphere, Ionosphere, and Thermosphere (MIT) system, especially under
disturbed conditions. The availability of long-term Heliophysics System
Observatory datasets and rapidly growing data science techniques have
enabled researchers to develop various data-driven modeling approaches that
utilize data assimilation and machine learning techniques. The ongoing
challenge is to enhance the data set with new measurements, especially in
the thermosphere, and model temperatures, winds, and densities in the
thermosphere on a global scale. We must look for new ways to use existing
data and/or identify new observations for this purpose. We solicit papers
on new measurements, and new applications of data-driven modeling
approaches to address MIT-coupling science questions, including papers that
demonstrate how data assimilation and machine learning techniques can be
used to deepen our understanding of MIT-coupling and enable a better
storm-time prediction. Papers that focus on forecasting the solar wind and
magnetospheric conditions that lead to the improved thermosphere and
ionosphere's space weather effects, such as satellite drag and
geomagnetically-induced currents, are also solicited.

Sincerely,
Conveners and co-conveners,

Sai Gowtam Valluri, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks,
Fairbanks, AK, United States.
Tomoko Matsuo, University of Colorado Boulder, Aerospace Engineering
Sciences, Boulder, CO, United States.
Robert Schaefer, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, MD,
United States.
John Noto, ASTRA, LLC, 282 Century Place, Suite 1000, Louisville, CO,
United States.
Clayton Cantrall, University of Colorado Boulder, Aerospace Engineering
Sciences, Boulder, CO, United States.