CEDAR email: Job Opening: Research Scientist at Orion Space Solutions
federico.gasperini at orionspace.com
Tue Aug 30 10:01:05 MDT 2022
Atmospheric & Space Technology Research Associates LLC (formerly ‘ASTRA’, now ‘Orion Space Solutions’) is currently seeking an experienced and enthusiastic research scientist to join our team, to support and possibly lead multiple ongoing ionosphere-thermosphere projects. The candidate should: 1) possesses knowledge of ionosphere-thermosphere coupling processes, and modeling; 2) be comfortable using and contributing to scientific software models, and; 3) have demonstrated experience writing technical reports and publishing findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Due to our growing success, we are seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, and dynamic Research Scientist (Post Doc) to join our team at our headquarters in Louisville, Colorado to support multiple ongoing projects with focus on Space Weather (ionospheric-thermospheric coupling and responses to terrestrial and solar inputs) and emphasis on the analysis of existent satellite- and ground-based data sets and the development of new observational techniques. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to lead the development of research proposals for new activities, execute funded projects, and share their accomplishments through conference participation and appropriate peer-reviewed literature. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to participate as Principal or Co-Investigators for future investigations in terrestrial and planetary Space Weather, with responsibility for leading and directing the work of multidisciplinary teams of scientists.
Ionosphere-Thermosphere Science (80%)
• Use data and models to study the thermosphere, its coupling to the ionosphere and to solar and lower atmospheric inputs.
• Communicate findings in technical writing through reports and peer-reviewed journal publications.
• Modify and write software using modern software coding standards and tools.
• Collaborate with teams of 2-10 people.
• Possible projects: thermospheric dynamics, ionospheric electrodynamics, ionosphere-thermosphere modelling, Mars’ ionosphere-thermosphere science, data assimilation, data science.
Business Development (20%)
• Assist in Business Development activities such as writing proposals, presenting at scientific conferences and workshops, and collaborating with scientific colleagues and industry partners outside of Orion.
• Education: PhD in Ionospheric Physics, Thermospheric Physics, Atmospheric or Space Sciences, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical field.
• Experience with scientific programming languages (e.g., IDL, Python) and developing high-quality and insightful visualization of scientific datasets.
• Familiarity with ground-based and space-based thermospheric and/or ionospheric data and data-base utilization.
• Familiarity with scientific data analysis and model-data comparison.
• Familiarity with both compiled and run-time programming languages.
• Strong communication skills demonstrated through peer-reviewed articles and oral presentations to audiences with widely varying degrees of sophistication and expertise, and through technical documents.
• Security clearance or ability to obtain one as needed.
• Experience: 2+ years beyond PhD, including demonstrated experience writing proposals to government sponsors and agencies.
• Other: experience in the use of common thermospheric and ionospheric data types (in situ and remotely sensed neutral and electron densities, GNSS TEC, and GNSS-RO), common climatological, physics-based, and assimilation software tools, cloud computing, running models on supercomputers.
Compensation & Benefits
• Paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays.
• Health/dental/vision insurance packages.
• 401(k) benefits.
• A focus on staff development.
• An opportunity to join a successful, fast-growth organization – and put your thumb print on our future development.
• Compensation: $70,000 - $130,000 Annual (based on experience, skills, and equity within the department).
Applications are open and continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should address their application to Dr. Federico Gasperini. The application should include a cover letter indicating motivation, a CV with publication record, and a list of up to three professional references. The application material should be sent at: https://orionspace.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=104
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Cedar_email