CEDAR email: Outcomes of first decadal survey white paper planning workshop

Asti Bhatt asti.bhatt at sri.com
Tue Nov 2 15:42:36 MDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

On Friday, Oct 29, we held the first workshop to plan for various white
paper submissions to the upcoming Solar and Space Physics decadal
survey. Thank you to all who joined and facilitated discussions on a
short notice, and apologies to those who couldn't make it due to the
short notice. The workshop agenda
<https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/decadalsurvey2021/> included several
topics that were discussed for about half hour each. During the workshop
the following two documents were created -

1. A notes document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eMQJZh8YHtQY9sw6Bd23NbDARGkHzbDw7KO-Pv3Fveg/edit?usp=sharing>
- where everyone's thoughts were penned down. This document is open to
everyone to put their thoughts in.

2. A spreadsheet of white paper ideas
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QQwLTlUqdm5WkUnUl7SQ0reoWLJYNM8SVa38i4GKeo8/edit?usp=sharing>-
the white paper topics are separated by categories on the workshop
agenda. We encourage everyone to add new topics, put themselves as lead
authors to new topics and/or join existing efforts as contributors.

The white paper submissions are due by March 2022, and the community
will be given at least a couple months notice before the submissions are
due. The CSSC and USRA are facilitating this process in two ways:

*a) facilitating collaborative writing sessions for identified white
paper ideas* - We request people or teams who are working on white paper
efforts to reach out to us if they need such support.

*b) organizing two more workshops in the coming months on topics that
need further discussions* - The next workshop will be on outlining
science questions and research infrastructure needs for the
Mesosphere-lower thermosphere/Ionosphere research for the next decade.
We will announce the exact date shortly, but it will likely be in early
December or early January.

Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Asti Bhatt, Doug Rowland, Tzu-Wei Fang, Lindsay Goodwin, Julio Urbina,
Larisa Goncharenko

--
Asti Bhatt
Center for Geospace Studies