CEDAR email: IAP Ph.D. Position in Germany

Jorge L. Chau (IAP) jchau at iap-kborn.de
Tue Nov 2 14:14:18 MDT 2021

Dear CEDAR colleagues,

Below please find a Ph.D. opportunity in our Institute.

Regards,

Koki Chau

Open PhD student position at Leibniz Institute of Atmospheric Physics (Germany )

The Leibniz Institute of Atmospheric Physics at the University of Rostock (IAP) conducts research in physics of the mesosphere and lower thermosphere in close collaboration with national and international partners. Besides studying specific processes in this region, our research also connects to climate change and to the role of atmospheric forcing on space weather. The IAP offers a 3-year PhD student position in the Optical Soundings Department beginning as soon as possible.

Within the framework of the GRF research project CRC-181 "Energy Transfers in Atmosphere and Ocean" (www.trr-energytransfers.de), the properties of gravity waves will be analyzed with different methods to compare and validate newly developed parameterizations. Measurements with modern Doppler wind and temperature lidar systems will be performed and analyzed. These measurements will be compared with radar measurements and numerical simulations (e.g., using IAP's global circulation model called KMCM ). The aim is to use these results to validate gravity wave parameterizations developed in other TRR subprojects.

We provide an appealing workplace near the Baltic Sea, with state-of-the-art technology and an excellent involvement in international research. Through its graduate school, yearly winter schools, and frequent exchange amongst members of other subprojects, the student will be exposed to a comprehensive training and networking in the scientific community.

The requested documents, preferably in a single PDF document, should be sent electronically to Mrs. Angelika Kurreck (kurreck at iap-kborn.de).

More information can be found here:

https://www.iap-kborn.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Current_issue/Job_Vacancies/Optik/Call_PhD_student_2021-06GWaves.pdf

or by contacting  Dr. Michael Gerding (gerding at iap-kborn.de)