CEDAR email: Pre-Helio 2050 Meetings: Magnetosphere-Atmosphere Interactions

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 31 13:08:13 MDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,
As part of various meetings leading up to the Heliophysics 2050 workshop
(May 3-7), we are hosting a special series of sessions to discuss the
cross-cutting theme of magnetosphere-atmosphere interactions through
particle precipitation. Our hope is to bring together magnetospheric
researchers with atmospheric researchers to develop the compelling science
questions that should be answered by 2050. The goal of these sessions will
be to synthesize the scientific priorities in this field and discuss ways
in which transformational research can come about from inter-disciplinary
study across Helio and Earth sciences. The results of these sessions will
be available to the community for possible use during the Heliophysics 2050
session: Expanding the Frontiers (May 6th). This activity will hopefully
facilitate connections for White Papers to be written as input to the
upcoming Heliophysics Division Decadal Survey.

The sessions will be held over the next 4 weeks at varying times, to
accommodate individual schedules. Additionally, the meetings will be broken
up by career stage, with the first meeting open only to all students,
post-docs and researchers/faculty within 5 years of their terminal degree.
The second meeting will be open to mid-career and senior researchers, with
early-career welcome to join. The third meeting will be open to all and
will serve to summarize and distill the discussions of the previous
meetings into a coherent and compelling set of scientific goals and a plan
for how we achieve those goals.

At this time, we invite all students, post-docs and researchers within 5
years post-degree to join the first session on Thursday, April 8th from
3:30-5pm Eastern Time. Please feel welcome to drop in as you can, even if
you cannot attend the entire session. Pre-registration is requested at the
link below, from which a Zoom link will be provided.

https://uiowa.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwofuqhqjotEtYEjj_QBk7uxD3kNPVd8ysd

- Allison Jaynes