CEDAR email: Help shape Heliophysics data science ahead of Helio 2050

Ryan Michael Mcgranaghan Ryan.Mcgranaghan at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 31 12:30:41 MDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

The Heliophysics 2050 Workshop
<https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/helio2050/> is quickly approaching (May
3-7), and we are convening pre-workshop discussions to make sure
the community is being heard to guide the field over the next three
decades.

We would like to invite you to pre-workshop discussions on the *theme of
'Heliophysics Data Science.'* The goal of these sessions will be to
synthesize the scientific priorities in this field and discuss ways in which
data science can contribute to transformational research across Helio and
Earth sciences. The results of these sessions will be available to the
community for possible use during the Heliophysics 2050 session: Expanding
the Frontiers (May 6th). Additionally, this activity will hopefully
facilitate connections for White Papers to be written as input to the
upcoming Heliophysics Division Decadal Survey.

The first discussion will be held *Monday April 5 at 3 PM EST/12 PM
PST. *Please
feel welcome to drop in as you can, even if you cannot attend the entire
session. Pre-registration is requested at this link
<https://forms.gle/fnaBFU56SNmBmSQL9>, from which a Zoom link will be
provided.

Topics will include, but are by no means limited to:

   - Linked Data - Ways of structuring data for usability and
   discoverability
   - FAIR Data - Findability, accessibility, interoperability, and
   reusability of data
   - Data-Driven Science - AI and data science methodologies applied to
   enable science research
   - AI in Engineering – Applications of AI and data science methodologies
   applied to support engineering applications across science, human
   exploration, and missions
   - Computation in Heliophysics - Considerations of high performance
   computing in Heliophysics science

*Only topics that we emerge as a community and champion will have the
potential to impact our science over the coming decades, so provide your
input to the Google Document (https://tinyurl.com/helio2050-ds
<https://tinyurl.com/helio2050-ds>) and join us for the live discussion!*

Looking forward,
Ryan McGranaghan *on behalf of*