CEDAR email: AGU session on M-I-T coupling

Toshi Nishimura toshi16 at bu.edu
Thu Jul 15 10:18:39 MDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

We solicit presentations at the 2021 AGU Fall Meeting on a variety of
issues in the M-I-T system. We welcome a broad range of topics including
but not limited to storms and substorms and interactions across scales.

Session Title
SA015: Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling during Storms and
Substorms
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm21/prelim.cgi/Session/119944

Session Description
Determining the effects of energy deposition and transport, and momentum
exchange across regions and different spatial and temporal scales during
disturbed times such as storms and substorms is an important objective in
the M-I-T system. Coupling across multiple scales is also a critical
challenge since observational and modeling methodologies for bridging
different scales do not presently exist. This session solicits
presentations on a wide range of coupling processes in the M-I-T system
from global to local processes. Relevant topics include (but are not
limited to) (1) density structures and temperature gradients (polar cap
patch, cusp, plume, trough, irregularities); (2) convection (fast flows,
SAPS, penetration electric field) and currents; (3) energy transfer and
deposition by precipitation, conductivity, aurora, and heating; (4)
ion-neutral interaction (thermospheric density and wind) and (5) coupling
and feedback into the magnetosphere (including waves and instabilities).
Discussions by all means of observations, modeling and data science are
encouraged.

Best regards,
Toshi Nishimura
Yue Deng