CEDAR email: Presentations solicited for Virtual GEM session on Injection Ionospheric Plasma into the Magnetosphere and Its Effects (M3-I2)

Shasha Zou shashaz at umich.edu
Fri Jul 9 08:31:44 MDT 2021

Presentations solicited for VGEM Session of interest:
Merged Modeling and Measurement of Injection Ionospheric Plasma into the Magnetosphere and Its Effects (M3-I2)

The Merged Modeling and Measurement of Injection of Ionospheric Plasma into the Magnetosphere and its Effects (M3-I2) Focus Group will have two sessions on July 27 (Tuesday) at the upcoming Virtual GEM meeting on July 25 - July 30, 2021.

Virtual GEM meeting website: https://gemworkshop.org/index.php <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgemworkshop.org%2Findex.php&data=04%7C01%7Cbarbara.giles%40nasa.gov%7C1ff5ddd7218946b8449908d942dd9d80%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C637614341868715781%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=W8pgwxOq6Bk%2FI7M3eOClY2dvUQgpfR%2B1YP%2Bn7MqB3D8%3D&reserved=0>
M3-I2 Session 1: 1:00-2:30 PM ET and Session 2: 3:00-4:30 PM ET.

The Earth’s ionosphere is a significant source of plasma to the magnetosphere and a strong influence on the dynamics of the geospace environment. The ionospheric source is contributing plasma to the plasmasphere, the plasma sheet, and the ring current and through wave-particle interactions is playing a major role in the formation and dynamics of the radiation belts. Hence, understanding of the strength and dynamics of the ion upflow/outflow particles up into the magnetosphere is of critical importance to understanding how the magnetosphere is populated and influenced by these initially low-energy particles.

In this session, we invite presentations that attempt to improve understanding
(1) on the influences of low-altitude ionosphere-thermosphere conditions on ion upflow/outflow into the magnetosphere,
(2) on the energization processes of the ion upflow/outflow,
(3) on the effects of ion outflow population on magnetospheric dynamics.

Presentations on data, theory, and modeling are all invited.

Let us know how you would like to contribute!

Best regards,
Shasha, Rick, and Barbara
Shasha Zou
Associate Professor
Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLaSP)
University of Michigan
1431 Space Research Building, 2455 Hayward St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2143
(office) 734-936-8184
http://clasp.engin.umich.edu/people/shashaz