CEDAR email: AOGS session ST14 "New Results from Cosmic 2, GOLD, and ICON Missions"

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 5 08:28:15 MST 2021

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to encourage you to present your research in the
session:* ST14 "New Results from Cosmic 2, GOLD, and ICON Missions" at
the 18th AOGS Annual Meeting*. The virtual meeting will be held from
1-6 August 2021. Please note that the abstract submission deadline is
23 February 2021.

Please visit the meeting website for more information:
https://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2021/public.asp?page=home.html

Best regards,

Qian Wu, Xuguang Cai, Charles Lin, Astrid Maute

 ST 14 New Results from Cosmic 2, Gold, and Icon Missions

Several recent launched satellite missions are ushering a new era of
space weather research. COSMIC 2 is a cluster of 6 satellites carrying
GNSS receivers, tri-band beacons, and ion velocity meters (IVM)
bringing together ionospheric TEC, scintillation, and ion drift
observations. It allows not only monitoring of ionospheric conditions
but also exploring the physics of equatorial ionospheric dynamo.  Six
satellites carrying identical payloads offer much better local time
and longitudinal coverages.    GOLD is an UV imager on a
geo-synchronous satellite. For the first time, we can constantly
observe the ionosphere and thermosphere over the American sector.
Another low latitude mission, ICON will deliver additional neutral
wind, ion drift, and UV observations.   The combination of these
missions as well as with other space and ground based observations
offer many new opportunities to study the ionosphere thermosphere
interaction in the equatorial region and advance the space weather
research.   In this session, we solicit presentations of new results
from these missions.  The goal of this session is to foster new
collaborations for more scientific returns.