CEDAR email: REMINDER: Sign the CEDAR Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement and Call to Action

Jones, Jr., McArthur mcarthur.jones at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Sep 8 08:59:55 MDT 2020

Dear CEDAR Community,

Last week, we circulated an email introducing the newly formed CEDAR Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force. Our first action item was to circulate a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement and Call to Action on the behalf of the CEDAR community expressing the sentiments and feelings of the 80+ attendees of the “Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and CEDAR” Workshop at the 2020 CEDAR Virtual Meeting (http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2020_Workshop:Diversity_Equity_and_Inclusion_and_CEDAR). Below is the text from the original email from the CEDAR DEI Task Force circulated last week with the last couple of sentences highlighted to call on those in the community whom have not signed the CEDAR DEI Statement. If you have a moment and feel strongly about such issues in CEDAR and the broader STEM community we ask that you take a moment and sign this statement.

“At the 2020 CEDAR Virtual Meeting, approximately 80 members of the community participated in a workshop entitled “Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and CEDAR” (http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2020_Workshop:Diversity_Equity_and_Inclusion_and_CEDAR). A number of issues and practices regarding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in CEDARsurfaced. Given the positive feedback received as part of what should be seen as the beginning of a continuing dialogue about DEI issues in our community, it was clear a grassroots effort focusing on addressing some of the issues raised at the workshop could lead to real progress within CEDARand the broader Heliophysics communities related to DEI. As a result, The CEDAR Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force is currently being formed and we ask all within the community to lend their support, because as the A Call to Action for an Anti-Racist Science Community from Geoscientists of Color: Listen, Act, Lead<https://notimeforsilence.org/> so elegantly states “the scientific community seems to recognize that now is not a time to be silent. Silence at this time is equivalent to implied consent. To be silent is to be complicit in our own destruction because racism destroys us all. But not being silent entails more than publishing statements.” In this spirit, the first action item of the CEDAR  Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force would like to issue the following statement (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kimmOV-95pJud2smbYrx0UrPdcOpvEKrfeQjw0UPXQQ/edit?usp=sharing) and proposed actionable items (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rl29P-lmXHlFon_2oxm2PYNdrBGKOGhKISxKfROGKXk/edit?usp=sharing) to improve DEI within the CEDAR and broader Heliophysics communities.

We ask that you provide input into these actionable steps and ask you to show your support for an anti-racist, anti-discriminatory, and inclusive CEDAR community in the form of a signature of the Call to Action Google Doc referenced above (i.e., https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kimmOV-95pJud2smbYrx0UrPdcOpvEKrfeQjw0UPXQQ/edit?usp=sharing).”

We look forward to collaborating and working with colleagues in the community to take actionable steps to make CEDAR a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive scientific community.

Cheers,
McArthur “Mack” Jones Jr., Julio Urbina, Komal Kumari, Meghan LeMay, Huixin Liu