CEDAR email: Passing of Peter Hoffmann

Jorge L. Chau (IAP) chau at iap-kborn.de
Fri Oct 30 07:23:45 MDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

with great sadness we have to inform you that Dr. Peter Hoffmann
passed away yesterday suffering from an accident at home.

Since the foundation of our institute Peter worked at IAP as a
member of the radar department. He has substantially contributed
to the success of IAP, in particular with his expertise in radar
signal processing and its applications to atmospheric physics.
He has published many important science results, e. g. regarding
trends of gravity waves. Until recently he was  still very active
working on science topics.

Peter was very popular due to his kind and polite character
as well as his involvement in running activities.

We have lost a competent, engaged and amiable colleague.
We will miss him a lot.

Kind regards,
Franz-Josef Lübken (Director IAP)
Jorge "Koki" Chau (Head of the Radar remote sensing department)

p.s.:
a) If you want to leave a message to his family or share
   experiences you had with Peter, you might send it to us,
   and we would forward it to them  later.

b) Sorry if you receive this Email more than once.
   Please forward this message to someone who should
   know and is not on the list.