CEDAR email: Announcing WALDO: Massive public repository of ELF/VLF radi odata

Cohen, Morris B mcohen at gatech.edu
Fri May 15 07:05:29 MDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

We enthusiastically announce a massive repository of ELF/VLF/LF radio data collected over decades at sites all over the world by Stanford University, Georgia Tech, and University of Colorado Denver. As recently written up in EOS (https://eos.org/science-updates/returning-lightning-data-to-the-cloud), the database is known as the World Archive or Low-frequency Data Observations, WALDO, and can be accessed at http://waldo.world. I don’t know about you, but I can’t think of anything more fun to do during a pandemic quarantine than analyze ELF/VLF/LF data!

These data already include or will include many valuable recordings, amongst them

  *   Antarctic recordings at Palmer Station and South Pole over decades
  *   Siple Station Antarctica experiment recordings from 1974-1986
  *   Alaska VLF recordings in conjunction with HAARP experiments
  *   VLF/LF Data from the 2017 Great American Solar Eclipse
  *   Narrowband data from global IHY/ISWI/AWESOME receivers
  *   VLF recordings preceding the 2011 Tohoku M9.0 earthquake
  *   Our hope is for the broader community to think of new ways to analyze these datasets that have not been previously considered.

The raw data are in a common format and available for direct download, along with quick-look plots. WALDO includes detailed data descriptions and some available scripts (Matlab with python coming soon) to view and analyze the data.

WALDO is jointly managed by Georgia Tech (Morris Cohen) and University of Colorado Denver (Mark Golkowski). Currently there are nearly 200 TB of data, with many 100s more TBs awaiting upload in the coming weeks and months. Currently we are focusing on uploading data previously collected by Stanford University’s VLF group (stored on 10s of thousands of DVDs), but will also be augmenting it with more recent data collected by CU-Denver and GaTech’s receiver networks. If there a specific dataset you know was recorded that is not yet up at WALDO that you would like to see, please contact us. We can let you know if it still exists, and/or prioritize it if you have a specific interest.

We encourage anyone interested in ELF/VLF and wanting to work with data to use the data. We are happy to answer any questions about the data, as well, or interested in any feedback in how the WALDO portal is working.

We also welcome anyone else collecting ELF/VLF data who would like to join WALDO and contribute their data as an official partner, please contact Morris Cohen (mcohen at gatech.edu<mailto:mcohen at gatech.edu>) and Mark Golkowski (mark.golkowski at ucdenver.edu<mailto:mark.golkowski at ucdenver.edu>)

-Morris Cohen, Georgia Tech

-Mark Golkowski, University of Colorado Denver

http://waldo.world

Morris B. Cohen, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
President-Elect, Atmospheric and Space Electricity Section
American Geophysical Union
LF Radio Lab: http://lf.gatech.edu<http://lf.gatech.edu/>