CEDAR email: CEDAR invitation message from Delores Knipp (chair)

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Wed May 13 12:22:36 MDT 2020

Dear CEDAR Community,

The CEDAR Science Steering Committee and CEDAR Meeting Coordinator, Astrid
Maute, have been diligently working to develop a format for a summer 2020
CEDAR Virtual Meeting.  Many of the details were released in emails this
morning.

This is our opportunity to let CEDAR Science shine in spite of COVID-19. I
am sending this email to encourage you to plan early for video
presentations and virtual workshops.   Doing so will ease the burden for
meeting organizers and help us provide you with an early general schedule
and then an updated schedule just prior to meeting start.

I would also like to point out that the CEDAR meeting infrastructure is
provided by UCAR.   Astrid provided some generic wording about copyrighted
material that was transmitted in the email this morning that is consistent
with general UCAR guidance.    It is my opinion that our CEDAR Science work
and presentations fall under the “Fair Use” rule for copyrighted
materials.  Thus, I have asked that the statements about copyrighted
materials for CEDAR video presentations be amended as follows:

“So that CEDAR can comply with copyright law, in preparing your video
presentations please adhere to the fair use rule as it applies to
scientific publications (see
https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html).  Please acknowledge and
attribute all previous work that has not been produced by the presenter.”

The CSSC will continue to work with UCAR to implement a policy that
recognizes ‘Fair Use’ of small amounts of copyrighted work(s) as necessary
background to science discussions and/or a recognition of previous work in
context.  This includes figures and short video clips.

I would also like to convey a thought sent to me by a senior CEDAR
scientist this morning:

“ I’d like to see this virtual meeting be a great success. I understand how
difficult it is to deal with all the issues of organizing meetings.

It may be quite a while before I feel comfortable going to a meeting to see
a few hundred of my colleagues…so having a way to interact via the virtual
participation is great.

As an optimist I think that it may help students and early career people
gain exposure.”

Following on, I’ve heard from international colleagues who see that this
CEDAR virtual meeting as an opportunity to contribute in a way that was
not, for them, previously possible due to airfare etc.  Further we will try
to take advantage of the experiment forced on us by nature to see how we
may better support a more diverse CEDAR community.

Although I very much look forward to a future in person meeting, hopefully
in 2021, let make the best of this virtual meeting with enthusiastic
support of videoed CEDAR science presentations and workshops.

Delores J. Knipp, Chair CSSC