CEDAR email: Postdoctoral Position in Mathematics/Space Physics at the University of Oulu, Finland

Heikki Vanhamaki heikki.vanhamaki at oulu.fi
Wed Mar 11 06:47:45 MDT 2020

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position in Mathematics/Space Physics at the
University of Oulu, Finland

We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher in a project "Data-Driven
Identification of Dynamical Systems with Applications in Space Physics".
The position is in the Research Unit of Mathematical Sciences, but the
work will be carried out in close collaboration with researchers in the
Research Unit of Space Physics and Astronomy.

We combine classical and numerical methods from the theory of
differential equations and inverse problems with new emerging tools in
computational data science including Approximative Bayesian Computation
to obtain interpretable learning systems capable of predicting complex
physical processes. The research will concentrate on developing and
applying methodologies of data science and artificial intelligence to
tackle research problems related to space climate and space weather. The
postdoctoral position is for 3 years, starting in May 2020 or as soon as
possible thereafter. The candidate should have PhD in Computational or
Applied Mathematics, Statistics or Physics or a related field.

We offer an interesting and versatile position in a novel,
multi-disciplinary project combining cutting edge mathematical research
with solar-terrestrial science, as well as the possibility to develop
professionally in a supportive and enthusiastic environment. University
of Oulu offers the working benefits typical of a large organization with
flexible working hours, excellent work-life balance and occupational
healthcare services.

To apply, please see the full job description and use the electronic
application form at
https://rekry.saima.fi/certiahome/open_job_view.html?did=5600&jc=1&id=00008915&lang=en.
Further information can be obtained from Prof. Mikko Sillanpää
(mikko.sillanpaa(at)oulu.fi). Application deadline is March 31, 2020.

----
Dr. Heikki Vanhamäki
University of Oulu - Space Physics and Astronomy
email: heikki.vanhamaki at oulu.fi