CEDAR email: Presentations solicited for Virtual GEM session on Injection Ionospheric Plasma into the Magnetosphere and Its Effects (M3-I2)

Shasha Zou shashaz at umich.edu
Wed Jul 8 14:23:50 MDT 2020

Presentations solicited for VGEM Session of interest:
Merged Modeling and Measurement of Injection Ionospheric Plasma into the Magnetosphere and Its Effects (M3-I2)

The Earth’s ionosphere is a significant source of plasma to the magnetosphere and a strong influence on the dynamics of the geospace environment. The ionospheric source is contributing plasma to the plasmasphere, the plasma sheet, and the ring current and through wave-particle interactions is playing a major role in the formation and dynamics of the radiation belts. Hence, understanding of the strength and dynamics of the ion upflow/outflow particles up into the magnetosphere is of critical importance to understanding how the magnetosphere is populated and influenced by these initially low-energy particles.

In this session, we invite presentations that improve understanding of:
the influences of low-altitude ionosphere-thermosphere conditions on ion upflow/outflow into the magnetosphere;
the energization processes of the ion upflow/outflow; and
the effects of ion outflow population on magnetospheric dynamics.

Papers on data, theory, and modeling are invited.  Please plan on ~10-12 min presentations, depending on demand.

This session has a strong interrelationship with other GEM Focus Groups – such as the Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics (CP) group – and so we invite coordinating presentations and attendance between the several sessions.

M3-I2 - Session 1
Wednesday 7/22 1:00-2:30
Scene Setting Presentation: Overview of progress and next stages for merged modeling
Contributed Talks:   listing is tbd, please send your idea/contribution

M3-I2 - Session 2
Wednesday 7/22 3:00-4:30
Scene Setting Presentation:  Observations Required for Experimental Progress
Contributed Talks:  listing is tbd, please send your idea/contribution

Please also plan to attend the sessions on Cold Plasma (CP) on Thursday, 7/23, which will feature similar subjects of great interest to us all.  Please see the VGEM schedule posted to: https://gemworkshop.org/pages/gem2020/gem2020schedule.php <https://gemworkshop.org/pages/gem2020/gem2020schedule.php>

Please see additional information on the VGEM meeting at https://gemworkshop.org/pages/gem2020/gem2020schedule.php <https://gemworkshop.org/pages/gem2020/gem2020schedule.php>.

Let us know how you would like to contribute!

Best regards,
Shasha, Rick, and Barbara

Shasha Zou
Associate Professor
Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLaSP)
University of Michigan
1431 Space Research Building, 2455 Hayward St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2143
(office) 734-936-8184
http://clasp.engin.umich.edu/people/shashaz <http://clasp.engin.umich.edu/people/shashaz>