CEDAR email: Invitation to VGEM 2020 SCIMM Focus Group sessions

Ferradas Alva, Cristian (GSFC-6730)[CATHOLIC UNIV OF AMERICA] cristian.ferradasalva at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 7 09:23:06 MDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

The GEM Focus Group (FG) ‘Self-Consistent Inner Magnetosphere Modeling’ will have two discussion sessions at this year's Virtual GEM Workshop on Wednesday July 22nd, 2020, which will aim to assess current inner magnetosphere modeling capabilities and to elaborate a work plan for the FG in subsequent years. The two sessions will focus on:

Session 1: Ring Current Dynamics (Wednesday July 22nd, 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm EDT)
In this session we will assess the transport, energization, loss, and composition of the ring current ions and electrons, and the associated variations in electric and magnetic fields. We welcome research talks related to the ring current dynamics through numerical modeling and satellite observations.

- Session 2: Wave-Particle Interactions (Wednesday July 22nd, 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm EDT)
In this session we will asses wave-particle interactions in the ring current, which drive the excitation of plasma waves, and the scattering or heating of thermal, suprathermal and energetic ions and electrons. We solicit both modeling and observational efforts.

Both sessions will consist of:
1. Two scene-setting talks (15 min each), given by Vania Jordanova and Matina Gkioulidou (Session 1), and Richard Denton and Lunjin Chen (Session 2)
2. Panel discussion with participation from the community (20 min)
3. Contributed talks (5-8 min each)

We invite the community to participate in one or both sessions in the following ways:
1. Presenting research results relevant to the topics of the sessions.
2. Participating in the panel discussions by providing input on the research directions and the kind of activities that the FG should carry out.

We will also have a joint session with the FGs ‘The Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics’ and 'System Understanding of Radiation Belt Particle Dynamics through Multi-spacecraft and Ground-based Observations and Modeling' on Thursday, July 23rd, 3:00 - 4:30 pm EDT. In this joint session, the SCIMM FG solicits short (5 min) presentations which assess the impacts of cold plasma on the transport and loss of ring current particles, and on wave-particle interactions of the higher-energy particles in the magnetosphere.

Please contact Cristian Ferradas (cristian.ferradasalva at nasa.gov) and Chao Yue (yuechao at pku.edu.cn) to submit contributed talks. We will list the contributed talks and details of the sessions on the FG website at https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Self-Consistent_Inner_Magnetospheric_Modeling.

Best regards,

Cristian Ferradas on behalf of the SCIMM FG conveners (Sam Bingham, Jacob Bortnik, Qianli Ma and Chao Yue)