CEDAR email: Call for papers for COSPAR 2020 Scientific event C4.1

Vladimir Truhlik vtr at ufa.cas.cz
Tue Feb 11 07:43:53 MST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

This is a friendly reminder for the next 43rd COSPAR Scientific Assembly
(COSPAR-20) that will take place in Sydney, Australia, on Aug. 15 – 22,
2020. Please visit the web page at http://www.cospar2020.org/ for
further details. The Call for Papers dead-line is approaching and we
wouldn't miss your contributions.

Abstract submission deadline is 14 February 2020 at 23:59 (AEST) and we
would like to draw your attention to the scientific event C4.1 Improving
the Description of Hemispheric Differences in Ionospheric Models. The
session is organized by the COSPAR/URSI IRI Working Group. Hemispheric
differences have been observed for many ionospheric parameters
including, the seasonal variation of electron and ion densities and
temperatures. For example, the well-known Winter Anomaly exhibits a much
stronger amplitude in the Northern hemisphere while the semiannual
anomaly is stronger in the Southern hemisphere, and the Northern
hemisphere counterpart to the Weddell Sea anomaly in the Southern
Hemisphere is much weaker. We invite presentations that investigate how
well models describe the structure of these hemispheric differences with
special emphasis on the IRI model, which is the ISO standard for the
ionosphere. Because empirical models may have an inherent bias due to
differences in data coverage, it is important to verify that models like
IRI correctly represent hemispheric asymmetries well. Talks covering all
aspects of the IRI modeling effort including model improvements,
comparisons with new data, IRI extensions, and IRI applications are
encouraged. Presentations that investigate the causes of hemispheric
asymmetries are particularly welcome.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Sydney,

MSO David Altadill
DO Dieter Bilitza.