CEDAR email: Job opening: NWP Data Assimilation Scientist at Spire Global (Boulder Office)
matthew.hei at spire.com
Fri Feb 7 16:19:03 MST 2020
Spire Global invites applications for one Data Assimilation Scientist
position (Numerical Weather Prediction) in our Boulder, Colorado office.
Applications may be submitted via the Spire website:
Questions about the position may be directed to the following:
Matthew Hei, NWP Data Assimilation, matthew.hei at spire.com
Dusanka Zupanski, Director NWP Data Assimilation, dusanka.zupanski at
*Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates
the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data
and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather
tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data
infrastructure includes a global station network and 24/7 operations that
provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.*
Spire Global is seeking a Data Assimilation Scientist to contribute to the
development of advanced Data Assimilation (DA) methods; they will utilize
data from Spire’s GNSS-RO/GNSS-R satellite constellation and other sources
to create world-class Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) forecasts. This is
an exciting opportunity for motivated scientists to make a difference
through advancing DA techniques and assimilating unprecedented numbers of
Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) and Reflectometry (GNSS-R) observations. The
successful candidate will join the Data Assimilation Group in Boulder,
Colorado; they will work on issues of international significance with
top-level scientists at Spire, as well as scientists from around the world.
The successful candidate will work with Spire DA, weather forecast, and
software engineering teams to implement and evaluate cutting-edge DA
methods. They will assimilate space, air, and ground based observations
into a global NWP model. The assimilation of Spire’s own GNSS data into
this model represents a unique opportunity; never before have so many GNSS
observations been assimilated into an NWP model. Responsibilities will
include the following:
- Proposing and implementing innovative approaches to DA, data
processing and quality control.
- Implementing cutting-edge capabilities for assimilating GNSS-RO,
GNSS-R and other satellite data into the NWP model.
- Developing and implementing methodologies for estimating forecast
sensitivity to observations.
- Combining data assimilation and machine learning methods.
- Working with the Spire software engineering team to define most
effective software solutions.
- Collaborating with the JCSDA/JEDI community on unified DA and
observation operator development.
- Presenting research findings at scientific conferences or workshops
and publishing scientific papers.
- Applicants must have either a MS or PhD degree in Meteorology,
Atmospheric Science, Mathematics, or equivalent working experience in DA
- Working experience with cutting-edge DA methods such as 4D-Var or
hybrid ensemble-variational methods is strongly preferred; experience with
ensemble Kalman filter (EnKF), 3D-Var, and other techniques is also of
- Working experience with DA systems involving community NWP models such
as FV3, MPAS and GFS.
- Working experience with JCSDA/JEDI DA tools and forward operators.
- Working knowledge of Fortran, Python, Linux scripting and version
control (e.g., Git, SVN, Bitbucket).
- Working experience with meteorological data formats (e.g., NetCDF,
BUFR, and GRIB) and software tools (e.g., ESMF) is desirable.
- Knowledge of optimal control theory and minimization methods is
- Demonstration of enthusiasm and ability to work in a development team
that never stops improving DA methods and results.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Cedar_email