CEDAR email: CEDAR Workshop Session: Generation Mechanisms of TIDs

Zawdie, Kate kate.zawdie at nrl.navy.mil
Thu May 23 16:21:29 MDT 2019

Dear CEDAR community,

We would like to invite you to participate in the 2019 CEDAR Workshop Session: Generation Mechanisms of TIDs. The session is scheduled for Tuesday June 18th from 13:30-15:30.

Traveling Ionospheric Disturbances have been observed at all latitudes and are a frequent feature in the ionosphere. It is believed that there are a number of processes responsible for their generation including (but not limited to): the Perkins instability, atmospheric gravity waves, and high latitude forcing. This workshop aims to improve our understanding of TID origins, appropriate classifications for and identifications of different TIDs, and the physical conditions necessary to generate conjugate behavior.

We are interested in both modeling and data studies of TIDs. In particular, we are interested in using multi-instrument approaches to better understand the phenomena, as well as planning future campaigns to identify the origin of TIDs.  The session will consist of a number of short presentations followed by a guided discussion. The link to the workshop description is available at: http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2019_Workshop:Generation_Mechanisms_of_TIDs

If you would like to be involved in this session, please get in touch with us.  We are soliciting both speakers and ideas for currently unresolved questions in TID research that will be used to guide the discussion.  We look forward to seeing you in Santa Fe!

Regards,
Kate Zawdie (kate.zawdie at nrl.navy.mil<mailto:kate.zawdie at nrl.navy.mil>)
Jeff Klenzing (jeffrey.klenzing at nasa.gov<mailto:jeffrey.klenzing at nasa.gov>)
Steve Kaeppler (skaeppl at clemson.edu<mailto:skaeppl at clemson.edu>)