CEDAR email: posting for AOGS 2019 session ST14

Paxton, Larry Larry.Paxton at jhuapl.edu
Tue Jan 29 19:49:09 MST 2019

Dear Colleagues

AOGS ST14 in Singapore will focus on a very exciting topic:
Space Weather Forecasts: Methods, Issues and Future Development
Abstracts are due February 12, 2019
The session is described and links to the relevant AOGS pages are provided at the bottom of this announcement.
* Dr Larry Paxton (The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, United States) larry.paxton at jhuapl.edu<mailto:larry.paxton at jhuapl.edu>
Dr Tzu-Wei Fang (University of Colorado at Boulder, United States) tzu-wei.fang at noaa.gov<mailto:tzu-wei.fang at noaa.gov>
Dr Yongliang Zhang (The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, United States) yongliang.zhang at jhuapl.edu<mailto:yongliang.zhang at jhuapl.edu>

“Prediction of space weather such as the state of the ionosphere, thermosphere, magnetosphere, solar wind and solar radiation over time scales from seconds to days or months in the solar system, especially in near-Earth geospace, is crucial for safe operation of space-based facilities and human space travel. Much progress has been made over the past decade in forecast methods, such as physics based, empirical and assimilation modeling as well as machine learning. Ensemble modeling, which has been in use for terrestrial weather and climate modeling, is beginning to be applied to space weather predictions. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. One persistent obstacle to our ability to predict is that we are unable to forecast the magnitude and direction of the solar wind magnetic field before it arrives at L1 where we have sensors. With a significant increase in the number of measurements and improvement in modeling, it is the time to review our progress and and address issues (such as the maximum predicable time scales) in space weather forecasting. What instruments do we need? What new measurement, modeling and analysis techniques can we use? We need to determine the future direction for our community’s efforts in predicting space weather. We welcome your contribution to this very broad topic.”

The AOGS website is:
http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2019/public.asp?page=home.htm
abstract submission is
http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2019/public.asp?page=abstract.htm