CEDAR email: 2019 COSPAR Symposium: Education and Capacity Building in Science and Engineering Using Small Satellites

Loren Chang loren at ncu.edu.tw
Wed Apr 3 05:59:08 MDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The 4th COSPAR Symposium will be held November 4 - 8, 2019 in Herzliya, Israel. The theme this year is Small satellites for sustainable Science And Development. Given the involvement of the CEDAR community in utilizing small satellites for upper atmospheric research, we would like to invite your contributions to session PCB.1 Education and Capacity Building in Science and Engineering Using Small Satellites.

Over the past decade, small satellites have become a viable platform for both technology demonstrations, while also serving as observational platforms for addressing pertinent Earth and space science needs. With the increasing popularity of such small satellite projects in an academic setting, several challenges must still be addressed, including the formulation of viable mission concepts, project management, and striking the right balance between student involvement and professional quality assurance. We invite participants to share their experiences and lessons learned in designing and executing small spacecraft development projects in an academic setting, considering both the challenges of meeting scientific and engineering requirements, as well as the role of such projects in education and capacity building in varied environments. Information on supporting services related to such academic small satellite projects are also welcome, with an emphasis on specific examples and user perspectives.

Additional information can be found at the following websites:
Symposium webpage: http://www.cospar2019.org/
Abstract submission: http://www.cospar2019.org/call-for-abstracts/

Abstract submission will be open until April 30, 2019. We hope to see you in November!

Sincerely,

Loren Chang
National Central University, Taiwan

Amal Chandran
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore