CEDAR email: AGU Fall 2018 Session SM022: The Application Usability Level (AUL) framework: A standard measure of progress to benefit heliophysics research, and the needs of our society.

Klenzing, Jeffrey (GSFC-6750) jeffrey.klenzing at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 24 12:16:04 MDT 2018

AGU Fall 2018 Session SM022: The Application Usability Level (AUL) framework: A standard measure of progress to benefit heliophysics research, and the needs of our society.

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to our special-format panel session titled “The Application Usability Level (AUL) framework: A standard measure of progress to benefit heliophysics research, and the needs of our society”.  We will have 8 panelists, representing atmospheric, ionospheric, magnetospheric, and solar research and applications, and a session devoted to bringing the research and user communities together.  We invite papers which a) utilize the recently developed Application Usability Level (AUL) framework, and/or b) which have an emphasis on measuring progress towards research goals and applications. The session format will stimulate discussion between presenters, the panel members, and the audience, providing a forum for communication. We hope to share ideas across different research and application areas that may benefit both researchers and society.

Section/Focus Group: SPA-Magnetospheric Physics, Co-organized with SPA-Aeronomy

Cross-Listed: IN - Earth and Space Science Informatics, SA - SPA-Aeronomy, SH - SPA-Solar and Heliospheric Physics

Alternate Session Format: Panel Format

Session Description:
This session will report on the ongoing efforts from the International Forum for Space Weather Capabilities Assessment and other groups, as well as bring research communities together to discuss current efforts, successful approaches, and lessons learned in building and applying validations and metrics. We invite papers which utilize the recently developed Application Usability Level (AUL) framework to measure a project’s progress towards specific applications, including metrics, and verification processes implemented, and how they address the needs of the identified user. A panel session will be held to showcase examples of projects utilizing the AUL framework, followed by a discussion the importance of communication and having the effort directed by an user’s needs. The session will highlight efforts in research to operation and operation to research, and demonstrate how this is a two-way street which advances knowledge for research and increases the efficiency and effectiveness of efforts to directly benefit society.

Adam, Alexa, and Jeff