CEDAR email: AGU Session: Balloons in Earth and Planetary Sciences: Research, Applications, and Emerging Concepts

Bowman, Daniel dbowma at sandia.gov
Mon Jul 9 09:32:39 MDT 2018

Dear CEDAR community,

I would like to invite those of you working on research involving scientific balloons to consider submitting an abstract to our session “Balloons in Earth and Planetary Sciences: Research, Applications, and Emerging Concepts”.  Since balloons are ideal suborbital platforms for examining upper atmospheric phenomena (e. g. the recent HIWIND and PMC-Turbo payloads flown from Sweden this year), we expect an exciting and informative session that will capture perspectives from multiple disciplines.

Session description below.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bowman

AGU Session: Balloons in Earth and Planetary Sciences: Research, Applications, and Emerging Concepts
Section: Planetary Sciences
Description: Scientific balloons have greatly expanded our capabilities to investigate geophysical phenomena on the Earth and beyond. In Earth science, they can fill the gap between Earth and space-based observations, offer large coverage areas, and enable an aerial perspective at a fraction of the cost of a satellite mission. In planetary exploration, they offer opportunities for remote sensing of atmospheric and surface process from a close range.  Programs such as the NASA High Altitude Student Platform have also been instrumental in increasing student involvement in the sciences. This session will be dedicated to discussing current and planned scientific ballooning initiatives in the Earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences.
We invite presentations on experiments designed for balloon platforms. Topics can include but are not limited to research from atmospheric sciences (including atmospheric chemistry), geomagnetism, planetary sciences, and seismology. Presentations may report results from past experiments, conceptual design, or work relating to future experiments.
Abstract submission opens: June 13, 2018
Abstract submission ends: August 1, 2018

--
Daniel C. Bowman, Ph. D.
Senior Geosciences Engineer