CEDAR email: Heliophysics Summer School 2018

Susanne Demaree sdemaree at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 14 14:33:55 MST 2017

Heliophysics Summer School

*“Comparative Heliophysics”*

24-31 July 2018 - Boulder, CO

Application Deadline: 23 February

Applications are invited for the 2018 Heliophysics Summer School, which
will be held in

beautiful Boulder, Colorado. We are seeking students to join us this coming
summer for a

unique professional experience. They will learn about the exciting science
of heliophysics

as a broad, coherent discipline that reaches in space from the Earth’s
troposphere to the

depths of the Sun, and in time from the formation of the solar system to
the distant future.

The 2018 Summer School will focus on the foundations of heliophysics while
exploring

connections to adjacent disciplines from the perspective of our local
cosmos: stars like the

Sun, planets like those in the solar system (including exoplanets), and
formation histories

not too dissimilar from those that are relevant to understanding the
formation, evolution, and

present state of our immediate space environment.

The Heliophysics Summer School focuses on the physics of space weather
events that start

at the Sun and influence atmosphere, ionosphere and magnetosphere of Earth
and their

counterparts around the other planets throughout the solar system. The
solar system offers

a wide variety of conditions under which the interaction of bodies with a
plasma environment

can be studied, while the rich variety of exoplanet systems being
discovered and modeled

offers an even richer ground to explore. Similarly rich is the variety of
activity phenomena

seen on stars like the Sun: where our limited lifespan offers us only a
direct view of solar

activity for its present-day evolutionary status, comparative stellar
astrophysics enables us

to effectively study solar conditions for ensembles of thousands of years
of solar time, and

thereby to explore solar and heliospheric activity in distant past and
future.

The school will be based on lectures, laboratories, and recitations from
world experts, and

will draw material from the five textbooks: Heliophysics I-IV, published by
Cambridge University

Press, and textbook V, available online with free access.

Approximately 35 students will be selected through a competitive process
organized by the

UCAR Cooperative Programs for the Advancement of Earth System Science. The
school

lasts for eight days, and each participant receives full travel support for
airline tickets,

lodging and per diem costs.

*Student Application Requirement*

• Currently enrolled as a graduate student in any phase of training, or
first or second

year postdoctoral fellow.

• Major in physics with an emphasis on astrophysics, geophysics, plasma
physics, and

space physics, or experienced in at least one of these areas.

• Pursuing a career in heliophysics or astrophysics.

For additional information on this program and instructions on how to
apply, please visit the

Heliophysics website at: https://cpaess.ucar.edu/heliophysics/summer-school
.

For further assistance, call (303) 497-1605 or e-mail cpaess-apply at ucar.edu

The Living With a Star program of the Heliophysics Division in NASA’s
Science Mission Directorate sponsors the Summer Schools.

The UCAR Cooperative Programs for the Advancement of Earth System Science
collaborates with NASA in administering the schools.

The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research is an EE/AAE who values
and encourages diversity in the workplace. Images courtesy of NASA.

----

*Susanne Demaree* | Web Developer

Cooperative Programs for the Advancement of Earth System Science (CPAESS)
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR)
P.O. Box 3000  |  Boulder, Colorado 80307
303.497.8627 <(303)-497-8684>  |  sdemaree at ucar.edu |  cpaess.uc
<http://cpaess.ucar.edu/>ar.edu <http://cpaess.ucar.edu/>