CEDAR email: Mini-GEM at AGU Sunday December 11 in San Francisco

Barbara Emery emery at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 30 10:47:57 MST 2016

>From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu) on November 30, 2016.

GEM always has a mini-GEM meeting in San Francisco the Sunday before AGU in
December.  This year it is at the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway Sunday
December 11
as described at:

http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem-mini/index.html

Please register (free) by December 7 so they can gauge participation.

The GEM main page is at
http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/Main_Page
which refers to the 2015 mini-GEM, but the link goes to 2016.  Another GEM
URL is
http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/

Below are descriptions of a couple of the mini-GEM sessions which could be
of
interest to CEDAR attendees which were taken from The GEM Messenger.  All
GEM
sessions are open to non-GEM interested people.

1. 2016 Mini-GEM Session: Testing proposed links between mesoscale auroral
and polar cap dynamics and substorms Focus Group
From: Toshi Nishimura, Kyle Murphy, Jian Yang and Emma Spanswick (toshi at
atmos.ucla.edu)

The Substorm-Aurora-Polar Cap Focus Group discusses substorm onset
sequences and related M-I coupling physics for bringing a potential closure
to substorm onset problems. At the upcoming mini-GEM, we will discuss a
recent substorm event (2016-2-10 at ~6:30 UT) detected by University of
Calgary’s red-line all-sky imagers (REGO). Four groups of tail scientists
are analyzing the event and will present their interpretations:

Robert McPherron & Xiangning Chu
Jonathan Rae & Nadine Kalmoni
Jun Liang & Eric Donovan & Emma Spanswick
Christine Gabrielse & Vassilis Angelopoulos

Their presentations will be followed by discussions with audience about the
physics behind and future planning to improve our understanding of
substorms. The session will be held at 13:50-15:20 on Dec 11, 2016 at the
Washington room at the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway in San Francisco.

2. 2016 Mini GEM Session: Ionospheric Conductance Challenge
From: Katherine Garcia-Sage, Lutz Rastaetter, Mike Liemohn, Rob Redmon
(katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov)

The Modeling, Methods and Validation Focus Group (FG12) will hold a session
at the mini GEM in San Francisco, and we invite all who are interested to
participate.

Time: 13:50-15:20, Sunday, December 11, 2016

Location: California Room, Holiday Inn Golden Gateway Hotel (1500 Van Ness
Avenue)

The agenda for the 90 minute session is as follows:
Review the outcome of the GEM-CEDAR joint session on the new Ionospheric
Conductance Challenge
3 short invited talks followed by discussions
Select ionospheric conductance challenge events

To inquire about contributing a short presentation, please contact Katie
Garcia-Sage (katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov).

A summary of the objectives of the MM&V Focus Group can be found here:
http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/FGproposals/GarciaSage-MMV.pdf