CEDAR email: Invitation to SAPS Focus Study at joint GEM-CEDAR workshop

Naomi Maruyama naomi.maruyama at noaa.gov
Tue May 17 05:49:01 MDT 2016

**

*****Dear**Colleagues**,*

*

At the upcoming CEDAR-GEM workshop, the GEM SIMIC focus group and the
CEDAR Grand**Challenges “Storms and substorms without borders” (SSWB)
will hold a joint session that will be organized around our new
“Sub-Auroral Polarization Streams (SAPS) Focus Study”. On behalf of the
SIMIC and SSWB organizers, I would like to invite you to participate in
this focus study and contribute to our workshop.

**

The description of the “focus study” is included in the end of the
message. If you are interested, please let us know as soon as possible
if you will attend, and if you plan to contribute. The final format of
the workshop will be decided later.

**

**

*We would like to make our study very unique, completely different from
"another GEM challenge" which tends to focus on skill scores etc. Our
goal is to make significant improvement of our scientific understanding
of M-I-T coupling regarding SAPS. We need your help to accomplish our goal.*

**

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

organizers*:*
Naomi Maruyama, Stan Sazykin, Mike Ruohoniemi*, Phil Erickson*, Simon
Shepherd, *Tony Mannucci, *Jo Baker
**

*

*
*

*###### *SAPS Focus Study *######*

*

SAPS electric field structures are narrow channels of westward flows
(poleward electric fields) encountered both in the subauroral ionosphere
and the conjugate inner**magnetosphere during a variety of geomagnetic
conditions, including geomagnetic storms main and recovery phases, as
well as during non-storm periods of variable**convection and during
substorms. These channels are localized primarily in the
dusk-to-midnight local time sector equatorward of the auroral oval
boundary. On some**occasions, they are observed to persist for many
hours. The spatial localization and the pronounced structured nature of
SAPS channels make them an ideal focus for**targeted investigations of
our current understanding of the physics of the magnetosphere-ionosphere
coupling processes involved in the generation and evolution of**SAPS,
and for testing the capabilities of numerical models to reproduce the
observed phenomena.

**

We therefore invite theorists, modelers, and experimentalists to
participate in a collaborative effort focused on the physics of SAPS,
with the initial round of discussion**taking place at the 2016 summer
CEDAR-GEM workshop. For this first phase, we invite contributions that
present simulation results of the subauroral ionospheric
electric**fields for several selected intervals. The intervals were
selected based on available observations:

*

 1. *

    March 16, 2013 04-10 UT (pre-storm SAPS);

    *
 2. *

    March 17, 2013 06-20 UT (main phase SAPS);

    *
 3. *

    March 20, 2013 04-10 UT (recovery phase SAPS);

    *
 4. *

    June 16, 2015, 06-10 UT (non-storm conditions);

    *
 5. ***June 1*7*, 2015, 06-10 UT (non-storm conditions)*.**

*
*

*Along with predicted subauroral electric fields in the afternoon to
post-midnight MLT sector, contributions should include, if possible,
relevant electrodynamic quantities**such as  ionospheric conductivities,
inner magnetospheric particle and fields distributions, total electron
content (TEC), field-aligned currents, magnetic field**perturbations, or
anything else that may help in unraveling the dynamics of plasma
processes involved in the formation of SAPS.*

*

At the workshop, we invite participants to engage in a robust discussion
of the nature of SAPS, the role of plasma instabilities, the control of
occurrence of SAPS by solar**wind and IMF parameters, ionospheric
preconditioning influence on SAPS appearance, and the role of the inner
magnetospheric pressure-bearing plasma in determining**SAPS lifetimes.
In addition to numerical simulations, we welcome presentations that
address observations of SAPS and related effects (both in the ionosphere
and the**magnetosphere) in the coupled M-I-T system relevant to the
selected events.

Results should be sent to the workshop organizers (at least two weeks
before the workshop). A more detailed description of the SAPS focused
collaborative study, with**background information on the selected
intervals, will be available at the following URL:

<http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/community/CEDAR_ITM/cedar-grand.php>http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/community/CEDAR_ITM/cedar-grand.php

which will also serve as a repository for contributions and results.

Description of the workshop:

<http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2015_Workshop:Storms_and_Substorms_Without_Borders#CEDAR_Science_Challenge>*http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2016_Workshop:MIT_Coupling#Description*

Description of the GEM SIMIC focus group:

<http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_Storm-Time_Inner_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere_Convection>http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_Storm-Time_Inner_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere_Convection

*

--
Naomi Maruyama
email:naomi.maruyama at noaa.gov