CEDAR email: Joint GEM-CEDAR Session: Particle Precipitation and its Effects on the Earth's Atmosphere

Stephen Kaeppler stephen.kaeppler at sri.com
Fri Jun 10 21:22:14 MDT 2016

Dear Colleagues-

We encourage your participation at the GEM-CEDAR meeting in the
Particle Precipitation and its Effects on the Earth's Atmosphere session.
This session will be held on Monday from 13:30-15:30 in Coronado/DeVargas
and continuing on Wednesday from 13:30-15:30
in Coronado/DeVargas.

We are still soliciting short presentations that will help to
bring out vigorous discussion and bring the GEM and CEDAR communities
together on this topic.

Currently the following speaker are confirmed: Lynn Harvey, Josh Semeter,
Adam
Kellerman, Marc Lessard, Don Hampton, Sarah Jones, Robert Michell, Nithin
Sivadas, Robert Gillies, and Anthony Saikin

magnetosphere-ionosphere pathway which has implications for atmospheric
chemistry. However, quantifying this process and the amount of
precipitation to the upper atmosphere remains difficult because of
the requirement of conjugate magnetospheric and ionospheric
observations. Increased ionization of the F, E, and D regions of the
ionosphere have important implications for driving gravity waves,
enhancing ionospheric conductivity, as well as the production and
transport of NOx and HOx, which can have important consequences for
terrestrial climate. Both the GEM and CEDAR communities, as well as the
larger geophysics community, are interested in quantifying and
understanding the loss of magnetospheric and solar particles to the
upper atmosphere.

There are large gaps in our understanding of processes that span
the disciplines of both the GEM and CEDAR groups. In this joint session
we hope to bring together researchers from both communities to share
expertise. This expertise will develop a better understanding of the
underlying physics of particle loss, to show observations of loss into
the atmosphere for the purpose of predicting, and describe the
occurrence variability, flux, region of loss, and energy spectra of
precipitation loss to the upper atmosphere. We seek short and focused
presentations on the ionospheric and atmospheric response from
magnetospheric particle loss, the importance of the processes generating
 this loss in the coupled magnetosphere-ionosphere system and
outstanding questions regarding energetic particle loss.

We look forward to seeing you on Monday and Wednesday afternoon!

Conveners:
Alexa Halford <alexa.j.halford at nasa.gov>
Allison Jaynes <allison.jaynes at lasp.colorado.edu>
Kyle Murphy  <kmurphy at nasa.gov <mailto:murphy.kyle.r at gmail.com>>