CEDAR email: Abstracts due soon: 2016 AGU Session: SA 008 "Current Understanding of the Ionosphere Thermosphere Ionosphere (ITM) Structure Variability, its Impacts, and Outstanding Questions"

Yee, Sam Sam.Yee at jhuapl.edu
Mon Jul 25 08:05:50 MDT 2016

Dear Colleague,

We would like to invite you to consider submitting your Fall AGU abstracts to Session SA008.   Invited Speakers are:

       -- Jeffery Forbes, Univ. of Colorado, CO on the Wave Coupling in the Atmosphere-Ionosphere System
       -- Stan Solomon, NCAR, Boulder, CO on the Long-term Changes in the Atmosphere-Ionosphere System

Session Title: SA 008 Current Understanding of the Ionosphere Thermosphere Mesosphere (ITM) Structure Variability, its Impacts, and Outstanding Questions

Session ID#: 13733

ITM science has made major advances since the beginning of the 21st century. In this session we solicit talks that place the achievements of the ITM community in context, especially in the areas of ITM temporal and spatial variability and its impacts on society.  Some major ITM observation programs during this period include NASA's TIMED, CINDI/CNOFS, AIM, AURA, international space missions, e.g. COSMIC and CHAMP, and NSF's CEDAR ground-based observatories.  Because of global access of these collaborative programs, their long duration and continuous data allow testing our understanding of energy inputs and response of the coupled ITM system. Specifically, we solicit talks that place the TIMED and ITM observational data in context: What have we learned? What are the outstanding questions? What additional progress can be made by adding new ITM observations (e.g. GOLD and ICON)? Talks from the modeling, ground-based instrument, and corroborating mission points of view are welcome.

Primary Conveners:
Jeng-Hwa Yee (JHU/APL)
Larry J Paxton (JHU/APL)
James M Russell III (Hampton University)
Martin G Mlynczak,(NASA LaRC)