CEDAR email: 2014 AGU Fall Meeting Session: "SM006: Cross-energy interactions in the inner magnetosphere”

Jichun Zhang jichun.zhang at unh.edu
Fri Jul 25 16:23:24 MDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to encourage members of the CEDAR community to submit abstracts to the SM006 session at the 2014 AGU Fall Meeting: Cross-energy interactions in the inner magnetosphere. This session is directly related to a new GEM Focus Group on this topic and we are especially interested in contributed presentations bridging GEM and CEDAR research interests.

Session Description:
The Earth’s inner magnetosphere (L ≤ ~ 8), strongly coupled with the ionosphere, consists of the ring current, plasma sheet, plasmasphere, radiation belts, etc.. Particles at thermal, energetic, and relativistic energy levels populate this region of geospace and can interact with each other. The types of cross-energy interactions include 1) DC electric field perturbations, 2) large-scale magnetic field distortions, 3) control and modulation of plasma wave excitation, propagation, and absorption, and 4) precipitation resulting in ionization, excitation, and heating of the upper atmosphere. Observations of plasma, fields, and waves from several space missions (e.g., the Van Allen Probes, Cluster, THEMIS, TWINS, and GOES) and progress in modeling and theory are improving our understanding of the inner magnetosphere cross-energy interactions. We invite presentations about observations, numerical simulations, theoretical investigations, or their combination that address particle and wave dynamics in the inner magnetosphere and, in particular, the interactions across plasma population boundaries.

Conveners:
Jichun Zhang, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH, United States, jichun.zhang at unh.edu
Yiqun Yu, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, United States, yiqun at lanl.gov
Colby L. Lemon, The Aerospace Corporation, Los Angeles, CA, United States, colby at aero.org
Michael W. Liemohn, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, United States, liemohn at umich.edu

More information can be found on the following webpage:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm14/webprogrampreliminary/Session1843.html

Thanks,

Jichun
--