CEDAR email: AGU Special Session: Understanding Hemispheric Asymmetry and Space Weather

Paxton, Larry Larry.Paxton at jhuapl.edu
Fri Aug 1 08:11:03 MDT 2014

Dear Colleagues:
Your attention is directed to the session described below.This is an
opportunity to present your ideas about what we can do to better
understand the entire system. Part of that process is defining the
instruments at all locations that measure the response and/or inputs.

SA019: Understanding Hemispheric Asymmetry and Space Weather
Submit an Abstract to this Session
<http://agu.confex.com/agu/fm14/sa/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=3015>
Session ID#:  3015
Session Description:
As our understanding of the Earth¹s geospace environment has grown, we
have come to understand that some of the earlier simplifying assumptions
about hemispherical symmetry may lead to specious results. We solicit
papers from the observational and modeling
 community to examine the question of hemispheric asymmetry and its role
in defining the response of the coupled Sun-Earth system. In
particular, we plan to illuminate the gaps in our understanding that
result from the lack of adequate characterization of the inputs to the
system and the global response of the system. For example, there are
large-, medium- and small- scale interhemispheric asymmetries in
magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling, differences in the interhemispheric
potential, and variations and lags in the response of the mesosphere and
thermosphere that need to be addressed in a systematic way. Papers
reflecting the current understanding, open issues and approaches to these
and other related issues are solicited.
Co-Sponsor(s):* SM - SPA-Magnetospheric Physics
Primary Convener:  Larry J Paxton, The Johns Hopkins University Applied
Physics Laboratory, Laurel, MD, United States
Co-conveners:  Patrick T Newell, Johns Hopkins Univ, Laurel, MD, United
States, Anja Stromme, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA, United States and
Aaron J Ridley, Univ Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, United States