CEDAR email: MST14/iMST1 --- First Announcement

Fatima fatima.usifatti at inpe.br
Fri Sep 20 13:43:07 MDT 2013

*MST14/iMST1*

*First Announcement*

www.inpe.br/spaceweather/MST14/**

**

Over the last 30 years, we have held a very successful series of
workshops on "Technical and Scientific Aspects of MST Radar". A
fourteenth is to be held in 2014, but this time we are expanding the
scope to include ionospheric research. This is motivated by the fact
that many in the MST radar community are also engaged in ionospheric
radar work and we recognize the benefits of having joint workshops with
our colleagues who focus primarily on ionospheric research. We are
optimistic that this will lead to improvements in research techniques,
analysis and fundamental understanding of both atmospheric and
ionospheric processes. The workshop will thereby be described by the
joint title MST14/iMST1, with the anticipation that this may be the
first of many such collaborative workshops.

MST14 /iMST1 will be held at the National Institute for Space Research
(INPE) in Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil, from May 25 to May 31, 2014.

Scientists, engineers, technical experts, theoreticians, students, all
united in one forum for MST radar studies *--- *this is what has been
special about the series of MST workshops. Previous workshops have been
held in diverse locations like India, Peru, the USA, UK, France, Canada
and Germany. The focus of the upcoming iMST workshop in São José dos
Campos (SP) will be meso/strato/tropospheric and ionospheric coherent
scatter radars, but contributions from related areas, such as incoherent
scatter probing, collaborative studies using radars and other
instruments like lidars and in-situ studies, and relevant modeling
efforts will all be welcome.

Contributed and invited talks will be organized in the following sessions:

1) Incoherent scatter techniques and advanced ionospheric sounders and
imagers.

2) Meteorology and forecasting/nowcasting

3) Ionospheric irregularities

4) New instruments, signal processing, and quality control

5) Meteor studies and observations

6) MST scattering, micro-scale processes and turbulence

7) Middle Atmosphere Dynamics and Structure

We especially encourage papers involving multi-instrument applications
which include MST radars, wind profilers and ionospheric coherent
scatter radars (e.g. radars/forecast models, radars/lidars, radars/in
situ (rockets or satellites), radars/airglow imagers, radars/satellites,
etc.) in all sessions.

The program will also integrate several invited tutorial lectures
throughout the workshop, which we anticipate will be of interest to all
participants, but will be of particular importance to students and those
new to the field.

For further details, please, access the MST14/iMST1 web page at

*www.inpe.br/spaceweather/MST14/*

*Clezio Marcos De Nardin*

Chair of the Local Organizing Committee

*Erhan Kudeki*

Chair of the International Steering Committee