CEDAR email: AGU Session SA016: Science on a Shoestring

Gentile, Louise C Civ USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXP louise.gentile at kirtland.af.mil
Tue Jul 30 11:53:58 MDT 2013

Colleagues,

Recent cuts in research funding present significant challenges for
scientists in a number of areas of study.   We are convening Session
SA-016 at the upcoming 2013 Fall AGU Meeting to provide a forum for
discussion of creative ways to advance our knowledge and technological
capabilities despite the current budget constraints.  We encourage you
to contribute an abstract describing your new and exciting ideas before
the abstract deadline of 6 August 2013.

SPA-Aeronomy SA016  Science on a Shoestring: New Frontiers in Space
Weather Observations

CONVENERS: L. C. Gentile, C. Y. Huang, Air Force Research Laboratory,
Kirtland AFB, NM;

A. Barjatya, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL, C.
Swenson, Utah State University, Logan, UT

The recent unusual solar minimum and current 'mini-max' demonstrate the
ongoing challenge to advance our understanding of Earth's space
environment.  While observational requirements aim for higher
spatial/temporal resolution and simultaneous multi-point measurements,
budgets are severely constrained.  How do we do more with less?  What
key parameters do we need to measure for which we do not yet have
well-proven techniques or platforms?  Can we leverage older techniques
and datasets in new ways?  We solicit innovative science and technology
approaches to advance topics such as mesosphere dynamics, MIT coupling,
high latitude and equatorial physics.  We encourage creative solutions
including new theoretical approaches, instrument ideas and results,
low-cost missions and reusable launch vehicles.

If you have any questions, please contact the conveners.  Thank you.

Cheryl, Aroh, Charles, and Louise

L. C. Gentile

AFRL/RVBXP

Phone: 505-846-7526