CEDAR email: CEDAR 2013 DVDs available and online; SPA Advocacy Committee; JGR solar minimum papers due 9 Sep; Fall AGU Session abstracts due 6 Aug

Barbara Emery emery at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 26 18:21:56 MDT 2013

This is a generic mailing to the CEDAR community sent 26 July 2013.
Meetings and jobs are listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu under
'Community' as 'Calendar of Meetings' and 'CEDAR related opportunities'.
CEDAR email messages are under 'Community' as 'CEDAR email Newsletters'.
All are in 'Quick Links' on the main page.
(1) CEDAR 2013 Workshop videos are now on-line and available as DVDs.
 From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu).
See also http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Workshop:CEDAR_Videos

(2) New SPA Advocacy Committee.
 From Jim Klimchuk <james.a.klimchuk at nasa.gov>.

(3) Call for JGR-Space Physics Papers due 9 September for “The Causes and
Consequences of the Extended Solar Minimum between Solar Cycles 23 and 24”.
 From <Simon.Wing at jhuapl.edu>.
See also the GEMS Web site for JGR-Space Physics linked at http://www.agu.org

(4) 09-13 December 2013 AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco, CA - abstracts due 6
Aug on-line at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/
*(a) SM006: Case Studies in Storm-Time Electrodynamics and
Ionosphere-Thermosphere Response.
 From Thomas Immel <immel at ssl.berkeley.edu>.
*(b) SM015: Plasma Access to the Inner Magnetosphere.
 From <jichun.zhang at unh.edu>.

(1) CEDAR 2013 Workshop videos are now on-line and available as DVDs.
 From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu).

The 2013 CEDAR Workshop was held in Boulder, Colorado from Saturday to
Friday June 22-28. Included on video are the the third Distinguished
lecture, 24th CEDAR Prize Lecture, 3 Tutorials, 3 Science Highlights,
and the Workshop "50 years of Gravity Wave Research - a Tribute to
Colin Hines". The videos cover 8h 7min on 3 DVDs with breakpoints and
tables of contents. The price for a single DVD is $30, while the set
of 3 is $80 from Brian Day of Daylight Productions and Rentals at
brian at daylightav.com.  The .pdf and mp4 on-line versions of these
talks are linked at

http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Workshop:CEDAR_Videos

(2) New SPA Advocacy Committee.
 From Jim Klimchuk <james.a.klimchuk at nasa.gov>.

As I am sure you are aware, our discipline is being threatened.  Budgets have
sharply declined, and further cuts are being considered.  To reverse this
dangerous trend, it is imperative that we speak up as a unified community.
Strong advocacy has worked effectively for other disciplines, but we are
perceived as being complacent.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease!  I have
therefore created a new SPA Advocacy Committee.  Its charge (see below) is
to lead the effort to remind the various stakeholders of the importance of
our science and its value to the nation.  The members of the Committee are
Len Fisk (Chair), Dan Baker, Gordon Emslie, Maura Hagan, and Harlan Spence.
You may notice a lack of junior and mid-career scientists.  I feel this is
warranted for this initial committee due to the extreme urgency of the
situation.

These first members are all highly experienced leaders in this arena who can
act quickly and decisively.  However, we need everyone's help.  If there are
letter-writing campaigns, please participate.  Congressional staffers
consistently tell us that this works.  The Committee may choose to create task
forces.  If asked to serve, please do.  Or consider volunteering even before
you are contacted.  We are all in this together.  If we act as a cohesive
Heliophysics community, we can make positive things happen!  Thanks.

SPA Advocacy Committee

Charter

The American Geophysical Union Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA)
Advocacy Committee is established on July 24, 2013.  The charge of the
Committee is to promote support for the field of Space Physics and
Aeronomy, especially by the funding agencies and by the government in
general.

This will be done by all appropriate means, including letter writing campaigns,
personal visits, newspaper editorials, and position statements.  Audiences
include Congress, the leadership of the funding agencies (especially NASA
and NSF), the Office of Management and Budget, and the Office of Science
and Technology Policy.  The Committee will monitor and evaluate the political
environment, develop advocacy strategies, and implement those strategies.
The Committee is free to pursue its objectives as it sees fit, including the
option of recruiting members of the SPA community to serve on task forces.
Each task force would be led by a Committee member, with the entire
Committee providing oversight.  The task forces should be representative of
the community and include junior and mid-career scientists.  The Committee
will keep the elected SPA Officers apprised of its activities.  Any especially
significant or highly visible statements made on behalf of the SPA must be
approved by the Officers.

The Committee will consist of five members, including the Chair.  The term of
office is two years, commensurate with the terms of the SPA Officers.  It is
preferable that some members be reappointed for a second term to maintain
continuity.  Each of the four science sub-disciplines of the SPA will be
represented:  ionospheric (ITM), magnetospheric, heliospheric, and solar
physics.

Note:  I submit this article as President of the SPA and not as a federal
employee.

(3) Call for JGR-Space Physics Papers due 9 September for “The Causes and
Consequences of the Extended Solar Minimum between Solar Cycles 23 and 24”.
 From <Simon.Wing at jhuapl.edu>.

*Submission acceptance begins: 1 July 2013
*Submission deadline: 9 September 2013

Guest Editors: Alexis P. Rouillard, Institut de Recherche en Astrophysique
et Planétologie, Stanley C. Solomon, National Center for Atmospheric Research,
and Simon Wing, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

The period of low solar activity between solar cycles 23 and 24, that occurred
from 2007 through 2009, was as long and as quiet as any on record since the
beginning of space flight, and likely in over a century. The overarching
challenge for solar physics is to explain why this happened, how unusual it
was, and what the ramifications are for solar activity and the strength of the
solar cycle on longer time scales. The unusual conditions provide a unique
opportunity to assess the nature and structure of a very quiet Sun, and an
upper atmosphere of the Earth relatively devoid of solar influences, which
has helped to advance understanding of the role of solar activity in the
dynamics and variability of the Earth’s upper atmosphere and ionosphere. This
special issue of the Journal of Geophysical Research solicits research papers
that analyze the physical causes and consequences of this solar minimum at the
Sun, the heliosphere and in the near-Earth space environment. The first section
of the special issue will treat the magnetic field inside the Sun, and its
influence on the corona and heliosphere. The second section will discuss the
electromagnetic radiation output of the Sun, and its effect on the ionosphere-
thermosphere system. The third section will describe the plasma output of the
Sun from the corona and heliosphere to the magnetosphere-ionosphere system.

Manuscripts should be submitted through the GEMS Web site for JGR-Space Physics.
For additional information, please contact: jgr-spacephysics at agu.org

(4) 09-13 December 2013 AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco, CA - abstracts due 6
Aug on-line at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/
*(a) SM006: Case Studies in Storm-Time Electrodynamics and
Ionosphere-Thermosphere Response.
 From Thomas Immel <immel at ssl.berkeley.edu>.

There is a session at AGU that may well be of interest to of the CEDAR
community. It is a joint Magnetospheric Physics and Aeronomy session,
with a focus on conditions in geospace during geomagnetic storms,
particularly focused on interesting or unique behaviors of individual
storms that may inform the broader discussion and understanding of storms
overall. Abstracts are due August 6, and we invite the CEDAR community to
please consider submitting an abstract of their own interesting periods
of study for a good discussion in San Francisco. The session description
and other info are noted below.

SM006. Case Studies in Storm-Time Electrodynamics and Ionosphere-Thermosphere
Response

Understanding magnetosphere-ionosphere storm-time dynamics has been informed
by statistical analyses but the average storm may hide critical features of
system. This session solicits observational and theoretical/simulation
analyses of individual storm-time events. The objective is to contribute
to a deeper understanding of high-latitude storm-time electrodynamics and
the consequences for ionospheric/thermospheric response including feedback
by comprehensive case studies. The session aims to include a mix of detailed
examination of individual events as well as studies comparing and contrasting
behavior in multiple storms. The session is open to submission of multiple
papers studying the same event or events.

Conveners:
* Brian Anderson, Johns Hopkins Univ, brian.anderson at jhuapl.edu
* Thomas Immel, University of California, Berkeley, immel at ssl.berkeley.edu
* Geoffrey Crowley, ASTRA, gcrowley at astraspace.net
* Cheryl Huang, Air Force Research Laboratory, cheryl.huang at us.af.mil

http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/scientific-program/session-search/sessions/sm006-case-studies-in-storm-time-electrodynamics-and-ionosphere-thermosphere-response/

(4) 09-13 December 2013 AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco, CA - abstracts due 6
Aug on-line at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/
*(b) SM015: Plasma Access to the Inner Magnetosphere.
 From <jichun.zhang at unh.edu>.

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to the SM015 session at
the 2013 AGU Fall Meeting: Plasma Access to the Inner Magnetosphere (SM06).

Understanding crucial aspects of the physics of the inner magnetosphere
requires understanding the details of how plasma is transported earthward
from the plasma sheet. Recent observations of the inner and middle
magnetosphere from several space missions (e.g., the Van Allen Probes,
Cluster, THEMIS, TWINS, Geotail, and GOES) and progress in modeling and
theory are changing our fundamental understanding of how this process
works. We invite presentations based on observations, numerical simulations,
theoretical investigations, or their combination that address the transport,
energization, and loss of plasma-sheet plasma into the inner magnetosphere
and how this transport affects ring current and radiation belt formation.

Conveners:
*Jichun Zhang, University of New Hampshire, jichun.zhang at unh.edu
*Frank Toffoletto, Rice University, toffo at rice.edu
*Michael Liemohn, University of Michigan, liemohn at umich.edu