CEDAR email: solar and space physics decadal survey town meetings in Boulder and Durham Oct 1 and 8

Barbara Emery emery at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 27 17:39:20 MDT 2010

This is a generic mailing to the CEDAR community sent Sep 27, 2010.
Meetings and jobs are listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu under
'Community' as 'Calendar of Meetings' and 'CEDAR related opportunities'.
CEDAR email messages are under 'Community' as 'CEDAR email Newsletters'.
All are in 'Quick Links' on the main page.
(1) Decadal Survey (http://www.nas.edu/ssb) Town Hall Meeting in the Boulder, CO
Area on October 1, 4-5 PM at the NCAR/HAO Center Green Auditorium, Boulder, CO.
 From Mike Wiltberger (wiltbemj at ucar.edu).

(2) New England Regional Town Hall Meeting on the 2013-2022 NRC Decadal Strategy
for Solar and Space Physics (http://www.nas.edu/ssb) on October 8, 1000 AM - 330
PM, UNH/Holloway Commons(Piscataqua Room), Durham, NH.
 From Harlan Spence <Harlan.Spence at unh.edu> and the 23 Sep 2010 SPA Newsletter.

(1) Decadal Survey (http://www.nas.edu/ssb) Town Hall Meeting in the Boulder, CO
Area on October 1, 4-5 PM at the NCAR/HAO Center Green Auditorium, Boulder, CO.
 From Mike Wiltberger (wiltbemj at ucar.edu).

Dear Colleagues,

As part of the 2013-2022 NRC Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space
(www.nas.edu/ssb), a Boulder, CO area Town Hall Meeting will be held at the
NCAR/HAO Center Green Auditorium (http://www.hao.ucar.edu/hao/location.php) on
Friday October 1 from 4-5 PM.

The Boulder community members of the National Research Council Decadal Strategy
for Solar and Space Physics invite your participation at this meeting to learn
more about the recently initiated Decadal Survey and for us to gather community
advice and ideas for this vital activity in setting our Nation’s priorities for
Solar and Space Physics in the next decade.

We are particularly interested in communicating information about the importance
and value that will be placed on the community input in the form of “concept
papers,” (e.g., mission, observation, theory, or modeling activity) that
identifies and motivates one or more new or existing science or societal
objectives and promises to advance the scientific objectives, contribute to
fundamental understanding of the Sun-Earth/planetary system, and/or facilitate
the connection between science and societal needs (e.g., improvements in space
weather prediction).  Details on how to submit a paper and other information
about the Decadal Survey are on the NRC website: www.nas.edu/ssb (click on “A
Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics”).  Concept paper responses are due
by November 12, 2010.

We look forward to meeting with you, and please spread the word about this
meeting to your solar and space physics colleagues.

Organizers:

Sarah Gibson (NCAR HAO), sgibson at ucar.edu

Michael Wiltberger (NCAR HAO), wiltbemj at ucar.edu

Howard Singer (NOAA SWPC), howard.singer at noaa.gov

(2) New England Regional Town Hall Meeting on the 2013-2022 NRC Decadal Strategy
for Solar and Space Physics (http://www.nas.edu/ssb) on October 8, 1000 AM - 330
PM, UNH/Holloway Commons(Piscataqua Room), Durham, NH.
 From Harlan Spence <Harlan.Spence at unh.edu>.

The New England Community members of the National Research Council (NRC)
Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics and organizers of the New
England Space Science Consortium (NESSC) invite your participation at a
community meeting to learn more about the recently initiated Decadal Survey.
We will gather community advice and solicit ideas for this vital activity in
setting our Nation's priorities for Solar and Space Science in the next
decade.

We are particularly interested in communicating information about the
importance and value that will be placed on the community input in the form
of "concept papers," (e.g., mission, observation, theory, or modeling
activity) that identifies and motivates one or more new or existing science
or societal objectives and promises to advance the scientific objectives,
contribute to fundamental understanding of the Sun-Earth/planetary system,
and/or facilitate the connection between science and societal needs (e.g.,
improvements in space weather prediction).  Details on how to submit a paper
are on the NRC website. Responses are due by November 12, 2010.

Information about the Decadal Survey can be found at www.nas.edu/ssb (click
on "A Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics")

We look forward to meeting with you, and please spread the word about this
meeting to your solar and space physics colleagues.

For further information, please feel free to contact our local New England
region NRC Decadal Survey and NESSC representatives:

New England region members of the NRC Decadal Steering Committee:
* Mary Hudson (Dartmouth College)
* Justin Kasper (Harvard/CfA) and liaison to Solar Heliosphere Panel
* Harlan Spence (UNH), liaison to  Solar Wind Mag. Interactions Panel

New England Space Science Consortium Organizer (http://nessc.unh.edu):
* Nathan Schwadron (UNH)

(*) We will meet in the Piscataqua Room at Holloway Commons, located on Main
Street ~10 minutes walking distance east from the train depot and main
visitor parking lot.  A UNH campus map is located here:
http://www.unh.edu/ecd/images/CP/croppedmap_07-2010.pdf.