[Wrf-users] Saving one variable from a wrfout file to a separate netcdf file.

Lyndz olagueralyndonmark429 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 01:29:07 MDT 2018

Dear WRF-experts,

I am trying to calculate cloud top temperature from a raw wrfout file and
save it as a separate netcdf file that can be processed by GRADS and CDO.

Here is the script that I am using:

a = addfile("wrfout_d01_2013-08-16_00_00_00.nc","r")

ctt   = wrf_user_getvar(a,"ctt",-1)    ; Time X Lat X Lon

Lat = wrf_user_getvar(a,"XLAT",0)
Lon = wrf_user_getvar(a,"XLONG",0)

printVarSummary(ctt)

system("/bin/rm -f test.nc")   ; remove any pre-existing file
   ncdf = addfile("test.nc" ,"c")  ; open output netCDF file
   fAtt               = True            ; assign file attributes
   fAtt at title         = "Cloud Top Temperature degC"
   fAtt at source_file   =  "wrfoutfile"
   fAtt at Conventions   = "None"
   fAtt at creation_date = systemfunc ("date")
   fileattdef( ncdf, fAtt )            ; copy file attributes
   filedimdef(ncdf,"time",-1,True)

ncdf->ctt = ctt
ncdf->Lat = Lat
ncdf->Lon = Lon

*Problem*
*[1] *The output file cannot be read by GRADS/CDO. Am I missing something
important when writing out the variable?

*[2]* Any suggestion on how to do this correctly?

I'll appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

*Lyndon Mark P. Olaguera*
PhD Student