[Wrf-users] Output from metgrid.exe includes extremely high soil moisture values

吉村 僚一 yoshimura-r at edge.ifs.tohoku.ac.jp
Tue Jan 9 09:07:20 MST 2018

Dear all,

I am not very good at English, so I apologize in advance.

I am running WRFV3.8 with NCEP FNL 1deg by 1deg reanalysis
(https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds083.2/index.html#!description) as the
initial and lateral condition.

I have trouble getting proper soil moisture values for the initial
condition.

When I run real.exe and wrf.exe using met_em_d01* data from WPS, real.exe
was OK, but in running wrf.exe, I got an error message below.

Flerchinger USEd in NEW version. Iterations= 10

So I checked soil moisture and temperature values in met_em* files, and I
found extremely high soil moisture values in a particular land area.

I attached a file of variable SM010040 , and a picture of its distribution
below.

The proper range of SM010040 values will be from 0 to 1, but in this
picture, you will find moisture values in the particular area(41N,141E or
43N,144E) exceed this range by about E+20 order.

In this case, I used NCEP FNL dataset at 2017/08/02 UTC. When I used 2017/09
dataset, the same error also occurred.

But, when I used 2016/08, 2017/05 or 2017/02 dataset, wrf.exe did not detect
any errors and I got proper initial soil moisture values.

I also attached namelist.wps and Vtable.GFS for your information.

If you know anything about it, please let me know.

Regards,

Yoshimura