[Wrf-users] Question regarding wrf2arl setting for hysplit.

Zhixuan Cao hitcaozx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:11:06 MDT 2016

Hi,
I got an error while converting WRF output in netcdf format to ARL format which is the only format required by HYSPLIT.  The error message I got are exactly the same as the one in a previous WRF forum discussion ( http://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3089&sid=0558ce573a50cf68c1cda15ec8cc8d20 <http://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3089&sid=0558ce573a50cf68c1cda15ec8cc8d20> ).

I am using the most recent version of WRF-ARW (3.8.1). I followed the solution in the link, But I did not find the line which supposed to be modified in the Registry.EM file under directory /WRFV3/Registry/. The line I am looking for is:
EM:state real ZNT ij misc 1 - i3rh "ZNT" "TIME-VARYING ROUGHNESS LENGTH" "m"

Could someone help me on the following two questions:
1) Is the answer in the link still a proper solution even for the new version of WRF?
2) If yes to 1), where could I find the line that I am supposed to modify? In which file and under which directory?

Thank you very much!

Zhixuan Cao