[Wrf-users] problem with resolution

Ben Stephens benstephens at utexas.edu
Mon Aug 1 09:56:54 MDT 2016

Hi all,

I’m currently using an idealized version of WRF that has been modified to implement the weak temperature gradient.  I’m struggling to understand something about the resolution in this model and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

FYI:  The model was mostly used to do cloud-resolving simulations, but I am interested in coarsening the resolution and running a smaller number of columns, to test some things regarding the microphysics and cumulus parameterization schemes.

The problem is that when I change the grid from, say, 64x64 to, say, 4x4, and coarsen the resolution from 2000 m on a side to 20,000 m, the model doesn’t seem to register the change in resolution.  The output domain is the size I would expect if I had only reduced the grid dimension from 64x64 to 4x4 and left the resolution the same.  So it seems that changing the resolution in the namelist is not having an effect, for some reason.  I have checked namelist.output, and that’s normal, and I’ve also checked teh wrfinput_d01 file generated from running ./ideal.exe, and that’s normal too.  I’m starting to look more deeply into the code at this point, but I am wondering if anyone has some intuition about what might be going on?  I have asked one of the people who originally modified the model, but they aren’t sure why this is happening.

Thanks!

Benjamin A. Stephens
Doctoral Candidate - UT Physics
PRC 196, Room 3.108